1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH2 and Panasonic 14-140mm

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by fljoe, Mar 13, 2012.

1. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Folks,

Just picked up a GH2 body only from the crazy Ebay deal a couple of days ago. I have read that the Panasonic 14-140mm lens which comes as a kit lens is gorgeous and used a lot for video shooting. I plan on doing video with this camera.

I have an Olympus 140-150mm lens but it does not have any stabilization built-in and the Panasonic 14-140 has the Mega OIS on it. Do I really need to get the Panasonic lens or will I be okay with the Olympus 14-150mm. Will stabilization be an issue with the Olympus lens?

2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I'll skip the long-winded post and simply say, yes, you need it. Any kind of wild motion or telephoto camera-movement will make your eyes bleed once you review your 24P clips.

3. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    Thanks .. need to hunt down one now for a fair price :)

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    While Brian's post is correct, I never understood why people come onto forums to ask questions about equipment that they already have. "How will my camera and lens work for video?" Well, YOU have the camera and lens setup, not me, so why don't you tell me how it works? It will cost you exactly ZERO dollars to put the lens on the camera and test this for yourself. Go shoot some video, and if you're happy with the results, then there you have it, you just saved yourself the cost, time, and hassle of selling your lens and finding another one for sale. If you think that you're getting sub-par results, get rid of the lens. If you're shooting video on a stabilizer or tripod, then you'll find that you don't need image stabilization.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    @shnitz,

Appreciate the comment .. just looking for a justification if I needed the Panasonic lens. I do have a Olympus E-PL1 where I use the Oly 14-150mm quiet a bit, so just wanted to make sure the new lens won't be redundant.

I have learnt a lot on these forum by people asking questions and other people kind enough to answer them .. if people didn't ask questions there would have been no answers :)

So apologize if my question sounded foolish.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think that having a GH2 with 14-140mm lens and E-PL1 with 14-150mm lens is heavily redundant, but it's your money. There are real size differences, but if I were in your position, I'd value the heavier wallet over the slight increase in choices. I see the GH2 as having enough of a better sensor that it, coupled with a 14-140mm or 14-150mm lens, is still small enough that it wouldn't preclude me from reaching for it. Again, test the 14-150mm lens and see how you like it. I have a 40-150mm lens on my G2, and it does just fine for my needs without IS, but I don't shoot video. I also don't know your video circumstances.

Edit: Also, if you don't mind, fill us in on the condition of the camera. Is is new, what was the shutter count, did it arrive in a box, what market was this model meant for (potentially written on the warranty papers), etc? That seller is known for being less than reputable in many instances, and it would be enlightening to know what he sent out.

7. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    FL
    The camera is brand new with the kit lens 14-140mm removed from the box. All the other items are in the box (strap/battery/charger/USB cable/manuals). It is a made for USA/Canada camera as specified by the labeling on the box. I will charge the battery overnight and test it out tomorrow and see how it performs. I will also look at the shutter count to verify that it is indeed brand new.

As you suggested I will shoot some video with my Olympus 14-150mm lens and see how it performs. My video is going to be very sporadic too .. just shooting it for kids events.

8. The Oly 14-150mm works fine on a Panasonic body for stills, but you only have to hold it still for a fraction of a second. Video could be a bit wobbly at the longer focal lengths. Conversely the Panasonic 14-140mm also works very well on an Olympus body, so for the sake of having a stabilised lens for the Panasonic maybe you could sell the 14-150mm and get a 14-140mm. The only reservation being the Panasonic lens is larger, heavier, and more expensive.

Exactly!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Your question was perfectly reasonable. Knowing how well your Olympus performs wouldn't tell you how much better (or not) the Panasonic lens would be.

• Like Like x 2