GH2 - 3 features missing???

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by zuzullo, Apr 24, 2011.

1. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Should we have a GH2 dedicated forum? Or a GH3 list of new features :biggrin: ...anyway:

Exploring my new baby I ran into some annoying issues:

1- MF GUIDE scale: How can I see the common scale, in meters or feet, next to the MF GUIDE?
    [SOLUTION]: "This feature does not exist on this camera. Lets hope for GH3 :)".

2- Flash Burst: Using Flash in burst mode:
    >I set the Flash power is set to its minimum and set the camera to fully manual (1/160 @f4).
    >I tried all Burst modes but the flash does not fire. Any idea?
    [SOLUTION]: "This feature is not possible on this camera. Lets hope for GH3 :)".

3 - Safety Shift: Aperture override or known in Canon as Safety Shift.
    >Shooting in [A] mode, the camera can automatically override the Aperture value to avoid overexposure, once the shutter reaches its limit.
    How can we do this something similar on GH2?

4 - Preview on HOLD: Is is possible to "preview photos "ONLY" when you hold the shutter button"?
    In most cameras, as long and you hold the shutter button the camera shows the picture that you have just taken. As soon as you release it you ready to take a new shot.
    On Panasonic even after you release the shutter button, the camera continues to show the picture. I feel that this goes again our way of thinking. Common sense is that once you release the shutter, the camera is back to LV and ready to shoot, right?!?

Here is a detailed sequence of what I am used to do on my old Canon:
    >Press Halfway the shutter button to lock focus and exposure
    >Frame the subject
    >Press the shutter button Fully to shoot the photo
    >Keep it Fully pressed to "preview the photo"
    >Release Halfway to return to Live view. (all settings of the last shot are still locked and ready to use)
    >Re-Frame the subject
    >Press Full again to shoot another photo. (using the exact settings as the last shot)
    >Keep it Fully pressed to "preview the photo"
    >Release Fully to acquire new shooting values if necessary.

[SOLUTION]: This seem to be a limitation on Panasonic cameras.
    On PANASONIC manual, under AUTO REVIEW it is written:
    "The pictures are displayed until shutter button is pressed halfway"
    On CANON, NIKON, and some others the difference is simple:
    "The pictures are displayed until shutter button is released halfway"

5 - Comparing 2 photos: In playback mode, if I zoom in, I cannot preview back and forward between 2 photos anymore. It is crucial to compare the detail level between shots!
    [SOLUTION]:
    6 - ...coming soon :)

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    As good as the GH2 is, Panasonic still has a way to go in incorporating some more useful features in their cameras. One advantage Canon and Nikon have is getting great input from the professional photographers associated with those brands. Panasonic doesn't have much of that yet.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Zuzullo, if you set flash to manual then attach a remote shutter trigger will it work? May not, just throwing out ideas

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    For #4, have you explored the AUTO REVIEW setting of HOLD? See manual page 60.

For the others:
    #1: Don't think it has it
    #2: No flash in Burst mode
    #3: Don't think it has this ...

5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    none of the built in flash has a capacitor that will let them burst for more then one flash. If bursting the flash is something you are looking for you really need to go the route of a good external flash like a metz 50 AF-1.

6. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I don't believe that even most hotshoe mounted flashes will do burst flash while maintaining a balanced color level and F stop rating. Typically the double a batteries in those units will not recharge quick enough. High end studio flashs let you achieve this though. I'm just curious if the manual setting will let you do burst when using the studio lights...

7. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Actually you can burst with a external flash, match it with 1600iso, the flash can burst for about 10 shots. Then you will need to let it cool. I use them for indoor dance allot. And it does work well.

8. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Shoturtle, I'm sending you a pm. Maybe I need a gh2 :)

9. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

This is annoying. Those are really cool features I am used to!

I always BURST the built-in flash of my CANON G6 at 2fps until the card is full! :mad:

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hey Zuzullo your thread prompted me to go and have a look at DPReview's G6 page from August 2004 ...
    I do wonder about your experience shooting 2 fps with flash for a whole card-full... :confused:
    It would be nice if Panasonic would allow burst mode with flash, personally I'd be happy if the pop-up flash wouldn't blind me in the left eye every time!

Your Number 3 point (safety-shift) is something which would be irrelevant to me as I use the little histogram all the time so prefer full control over aperture.

Can you explain Number 4 again and in what circumstances this is useful? Some of the phrases used seem unclear.

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Divide by 3 in your head :)

I don't know any cameras that reliably flash in burst mode. Certainly not at the FPS these cameras are capable of.

Isn't the point of being in aperture mode to specify the aperture? Why would I want a camera to override that for me? Program mode, with program shift, will show you this information and you can choose for yourself where you want to be if you're not specific about a certain aperture value.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're trying to do here either. I'm sure the AF/AE lock button can be programmed to do something similar.

12. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for your interest :thumbup:

Ok, you probably right about the burst until card is full as I never bothered to do that. But I just counted now 21 frames in flash-burst on my loyal Canon G6 and it was still going :cool: at the same speed!
    Very sad that GH2 cant even deliver 2 sec of a flash-burst :(

Number 3, Safety Shift is particular useful once I do want the largest aperture possible in any scenario without having to bother about anything else. "Portrait mode" would also work, although the tolerances on Safety shift mode are much tighter. Like that I can use (A) mode and lock the aperture at its maximum wide and only in a case were the shutter becomes exhausted, then the camera overrides slightly the aperture while still keeping similar shooting properties. I know you can do that by other means that take more time but I am a bit of a shortcut freak :smile:

Number 4, Review on hold: ...well what method would you suggest on GH2 for quickly, very quickly, review my shots during the process of trying to correctly frame an object?

13. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    The only things I long for are the ability to set a minimum shutter speed, and a better buffer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    um ... Use the camera as it is built, live view? Half press locks the focus point and exposure settings, reframe as desired, full press to capture using those settings.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Firstly you must understand that what you see in the viewfinder is exactly the framing of the final picture, so other than suggesting exposure-lock I fail to see your problem. I do understand that you want to lock focus and exposure, take a shot, review the shot and take another picture with the same settings (which is not at all what you wrote for Number 4)... but I don't quite see how doing that would be problematic with your GH2. I also feel that reviewing a frame on the tiny LCD of the G6 would be less than accurate so I don't quite see the point.

16. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Famous mountaineer was asked why he does it, answer was "because its there".

• Like Like x 1
  17. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

1 - MF GUIDE scale:
    Hey TC. I dont think it is a linear scale. I will make one myself and post it soon :wink:

3 - Safety Shift:
    Imagine a sunny day at the beach where you want to use your widest aperture to isolate your subjects and get the best blurred background as possible. Currently I am using PORTRAIT mode on GH2 to emulate it. But this will not always work depending on the conditions you´re shooting. The "Safety Shift" on Canon bodies does give you that!

4 - Preview on HOLD:
    No argue on that, you are right! I was just checking if you guys knew another way that matches my preview way of work.

Let me know if you got any ideas for this, still fantastic, GH2! :smile:

18. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

There you go! Probably the SAFETY SHIFT feature would help you on that, as it keeps shutter speeds to the fastest all the time.

19. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Edit.

Half asleep when I posted this, was not thinking clearly

20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Huh? Check your math there bud ... Unless you meant 2 frames per minute ...