GH2 + 25mm DG LUX....IQ Overwhelming.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, May 20, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

These are very detailed - a good sensor and even better glass is a winning combo.

3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Obviously you didn't :biggrin:. That's it, for the first time I'm going to see what JPEG files come out of the GH2, the camera's on my desk now and the sun is shining, no excuses.

Below is a direct 100 % crop comparison by shooting raw + JPEG fine with the GH2 at ISO 320 and Panny 14-45mm. The raw file is processed in LR4 with sharpening 0. The JPEG is taken at standard film mode with NR -2, other settings 0. I think the raw file holds more detail. A similar picture taken at 1/200 s clearly showed more blur, maybe due to the recently revealed Shutter Shock Syndrome? :frown:

i-CPXgSGj-XL.

4. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    My aim in my photographic life..........To do NO/MINIMUM PP and use JPG's OOC.

5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Of course, to each his own. Today really was the first time I've shot in JPEG with the GH2. I've done raw all my digital life and I haven't recovered yet fully from the amazement about what LR4 can do, fantastic really! Obviously, I don't mind PP, although spotting old Kodachrome slides is another matter entirely :frown:.

6. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    The thing is that, when the camera makes the JPEG, is actually taking the RAW image, baking a JPEG with the settings set on the photo style, compressing it, reducing its bit size from 12 to 8 bits and discarding the RAW. So, obviously detail will be thrown away, and the image will loose detail, and dynamic range.
    Even if you don't want to deal with any post processing, I encourage people to make the investment in Lightroom 4. You can "duplicate" the photo styles you have in your camera, your "Olympus colors", the Vivid, the Landscape style, etc. And create your own presets or use LR built in presets, and simply apply them to your RAWs and export the JPEGS all at once. You won't have to move a slider, but once, when you create the preset, and be done with it.
    Really, I don't think there is even one good reason for shooting JPEG on a camera that have RAW capability. Other than a pro sports photographer in the sides of the field, shooting the Soccer final, and transmitting the images on the fly to the magazine headquarters. And even they I bet shoot RAW + JPEG.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Why do I have to keep repeating myself.............
    My aim in my photographic life..........To do NO/MINIMUM PP and use the excellent JPG's OOC.

I'm more than happy with the OOC JPG's I'm getting. I don't want to be strapped to a monitor doing PP, I'd rather be out taking pictures.

AND....Would a PP'd RAW look any better than the excellent OOC JPG's displayed, I very much doubt that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MarcoC

MarcoC New to Mu-43

May 21, 2012
    You're obviously pleased with your lens, so congratulations. But I'm not seeing resolution here that jumps out of the screen at me as any better than the Pannie 20mm or Oly 45mm. Very nice, don't get me wrong, but I'm not falling off my chair with surprise.

9. MartinOcando

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    I think you missed the part where I say: ..."create your own presets or use LR built in presets, and simply apply them to your RAWs and export the JPEGS all at once. You won't have to move a slider, but once, when you create the preset, and be done with it."

This is a one click thing. Load the files to LR (Apply preset upon import, automatically), select ALL, Export. That ALL!

Is that keeping you strapped to the monitor??? I think not. Anyhow, is your loss.

Believe me, once you try it, you won't come back. Is a fact.

Just a quick fix of sharpness and levels in LR4. What do you think?
    7232441128_c267ab8f1d_b.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Sorry do disappoint you, but this is hideously oversharpened. My eyes are bleeding just from looking at this 'fixed' photo.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MartinOcando

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    Sorry, you are absolutely right. I didn't had my reading glasses with me. Now is much better, I think.

7232441128_c267ab8f1d_b1.

12. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Easily.

With a little experience and know-how, one can make RAW sing in PP.

• Like Like x 1
  13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    dave in wales

you do realise that the phrase "IQ" is completely meaningless and without definition?

Maybe to you IQ=sharpness of image... to others it may relate to the bits out of focus... and indeed to others it may be completely subservient to the actual aesthetic quality of the image... which has nothing to do with the camera or the lens
    I am happy you are happy with your lens... but sadly i see nothing in your shot that couldn't be done with any lens shot at f8

The reason I have a 25/1.4 is to do this kind of stuff...most of it great...particularly like the guy with the bubbles on one of the later pages

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/panasonic-leica-25mm-f-1-4-dg-summilux-image-thread-15938/index45.html.

Personally I love the lens... but for different reasons than you obviously

7214367062_068357d922_z.
    P1030597 by kevinparis, on Flickr

K

• Like Like x 2
  14. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    For this photo? Yeah, it would have helped IQ. The last crop that shows the metal piece could have had a bit more highlight detail recovered if you had shot RAW.

BUT, like you said, you don't want to spend time doing PP, so it's all a moot point. It's a cool photo, it came straight out of your camera, and you're not tied to your computer. Works for you, and sounds good to me!

Personally I shoot RAW 100% of the time because I sometimes push/pull and/or tone images heavily, and the extra RAW DR makes a real difference for that kind of processing. But I too hate spending time on PP. I've got a backlog of thousands of images because I like shooting a lot more than screwing around on a computer.

15. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

+1 here. Nothing to get excited about.

16. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    If you're happy, then I'm happy for you. The detail looks great to me. There's more than one way to skin a cat and I'm glad you've found the one that works for you.

Gordon

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be more concerned with the quality of the hydraulic cylinder camera right. It's seals are shot...

18. Jaffa1975

Jaffa1975 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Im a complete beginer and as such my opinion holds very little impact but this PP ruined that image (So say my virgin eyes)

19. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    As much as I acknowledge that this is very subjective, and despit the fact that I shoot Raw only since about 10 years, I still prefer the OOC Jpg from Dave in this case...

(edit) However if you want to prove your point, you should start with the nonexisting Raw file, rather than with the compressed JPG that was posted here, cause you have very little too no chance at all of improving anything otherwise.