1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH1 vs GF3 facial recognition in video?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by teddoman, Mar 27, 2013.

1. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    I already have the GF3 but am considering a used GH1 as a replacement. I want to stay under $300, because for $300 I could just buy another LX7, which has everything I need for video.

How is the GH1's AF using facial recognition during video recording? I plan to use it as a b-roll camera on a tripod just running on facial recognition, just for the extra footage of my kids running around but from a different angle. Has facial recognition AF improved in later generations?

I already have the GF3, which has competent facial recognition in video (meaning that other than focus breathing, it generally can track people as long as they don't move too quickly). I would only consider the GH1 if I thought the facial recognition in video was equal to the GF3.

As long as facial recognition is solid, I wouldn't mind having full manual control of video at 24 fps (with the hack) and a swivel LCD. I would miss but would be willing to part with the touch screen and bounce flash of the GF3.

Anyone have experience with the facial recognition of the GH1 during video and how it compares to more recent m4/3 cameras?