1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH1 vs. G6 high ISO comparison

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ajm80031, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

9253194598_87ba1c78a5_o.

Both images were shot at ISO 3200 and f7.1 within a few seconds of each other (the clocks on the two cameras didn't quite agree). The are 100% crops of RAW images in Lightroom 4 with no noise reduction applied (I had to convert the G6 RAW file to DNG as this version of Lightroom doesn't have support for the G6's RAW format). I was hoping that the G6 would be somewhat better than my GH1. I can't say I see a lot of difference.

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    the differences are you get more DR and higher pixel count

3. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I meant better with regards to high ISO than my GH1. To my eye, the noise levels are pretty similar. Downsampling the G6 image to the same dimensions as the GH1 might improve the situation a bit, but I wouldn't expect a massive difference.

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Would you be able to do that and post the images like in the first post? I would be very interested in the results as the G6 is on my GAS list :)

5. The problem with the GH1 at high ISOs compared to it's successors isn't so much the quantity of noise but instead that it produces unattractive colours (green as seen in your example) and banding in shadows. DxOMark shows that not a lot changed in the headline measurements between the GH1 and the G5 (and GH2 before it), excepting of course the increased resolution of the newer sensor. The dynamic range of the GH1 wasn't bettered by another Micro 4/3 until the E-M5 was released in 2012.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/816%7C0/(brand)/Panasonic/(appareil2)/793%7C0/(brand2)/Olympus/(appareil3)/630%7C0/(brand3)/Panasonic

6. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I did the downsampling but didn't have time to post the results (I'm not at that computer now and so can't upload it, unfortunately). I don't think it really made all that much difference -- maybe a little cleaner, but only a little. I'll try to find time to upload it over the weekend.

7. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

I agree, the quality of the noise changed more than the amount. My test photo didn't have large deep-shadow areas and so didn't bring out the banding that I've definitely seen with my GH1 in the past. It looks like images from the G6 would still need a lot of noise reduction applied at high ISO.

Unfortunately better low-light performance is one of the things I'm looking for in a GH1 replacement.

8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    If you want better low light get GH3 which uses Sony sensor

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yup, not much difference in these two.
    How about shadows under trees outside at dusk?

10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I keep looking, because every post says they don't see much difference so I think I must be missing something or imagining things..... but I see plenty of difference.

Select has less noise in the dark areas (Look at the table) and less color noise (look at the deeper black around the fire place or whatever the brown thing is on the left edge). Maybe the brick and carpet have a lot of texture which can mask differences in noise, but to my eye, select clearly looks better than candidate.

11. The Sony 16mp sensor (as found in every current Olympus + the Panny GH3) is I feel the only m4/3 option available if you are looking for significantly better high ISO performance. I am still very happy with my GH1 but since the E-M5 iit rarely comes out when the sun goes down.

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I see that GH1's shadows are blocked (almost black), while the G6 shows more detail and more noise. I'm pretty sure if you pull shadows in the G6 shot in PP it will be no worse.

13. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

Finally got around to posting the GH1 vs. downsampled G6:

9302133447_958d74a9ce_o.

14. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

Unfortunately I didn't take any such photos and I no longer have the G6 (just had it on a rental for a few days).

15. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Looks like the G6 overexposes by 1/3? Compared to the GH1 anyways. I took your image above and reduced the exposure by 1/3 on the candidate side, and it makes the noise look a fair bit 'finer' than the GH1.

Thanks again ajm!