1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH1 vs G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by demiro, Aug 19, 2011.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've been out of :43: for a bit, but getting the itch again. My P&S just doesn't cut it when I don't want the bulky DSLR around. Thinking about the old standby GF1 + 20/1.7, but I'm also thinking I may pick up a body with EVF as well. I previously had a GH1 and liked but didn't love it.

What makes more sense? GH1 for $400, or G3 for $510?

Biggest priority with this cam is video. GH1, especially now that all are hackable, seems like a winner on that count. But I like the faster AF and better high ISO performance with the G3.

Looking for some thoughts and comparisons. I know many of you have owned them both.

Thanks.

2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I say go for the G3. It's a bit smaller and features better high ISO/low light performance as well as a faster burst mode. Plus the color balance (especially when it comes to skin color) is better. The slightly green cast of the early G- and GH-series cameras is gone. Plus, while I don't think the G3 has been hacked yet, it does very decent 1080 and 720 HD video. And the G3 offers 16mp. The GH1 was a game changer when it came out and is still a solid camera if it's all you can swing. But it has been surpassed by the latest micro four-thirds technology. Go with the G3.

• Like Like x 1
  3. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    I'd go for the GH1, it has a better sensor.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you can find a G3 from a reliable seller for that price, jump on it - I haven't seen anywhere near that low - retail is $599 body only, and Panasonic doesn't usually let people go much lower than that (at least according to my local shop)

5. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It may have a better sensor but the GH2 (and the G3 too I presume) has a much better user interface. It's amazing what a couple of tweaks have done to usability,,,

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Huh? The g3 and gh2 share similar sensors.

To the OP, it depends on if you need ask the hacked features or not. And if you need an external mic. Those things would push me to a gh1, otherwise I'd go for the g3.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, very close with the main differences being that the GH2 is multi-aspect and digital, meaning that it's oversized and it has the A/D conversion built into the chip. I would still think the G3 sensor would be better than the GH1.

Well, considering that the OP said that video is the biggest priority, I'd say an external mic should be high priority! Buying a video camera without an external mic jack is like buying a photographic camera without a hotshoe.

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Regarding audio...neither of the GH cameras let you monitor audio, which make them non-starters for critical audio work unless you add additional accessories like a Beachtek. I usually record separately and use the built-in audio as a sync track/backup.

9. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    G3,
    Better ISO performance
    Faster Sensor (Dual Core)
    Amazing detail with 16mp sensor
    Much better MF ability... Picture-in-Picture at 4x is plenty accurate for most work.
    Great "touch and shoot" mode from the LCD screen with AF lenses

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    yeah, my statement was more of a question to the statement the GH1 has a better sensor =) I'm not familiar enough w/ the video aspects, so wondering if it had something to do with it.

People still buy NEX's =P But I only mention it because we don't know what kind of video is a priority. I know folks where it is a priority in the sense they want to record their kids being silly for later embarassment =) Just trying to get a better sense of what the OP is looking for.

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I've always wondered how well that worked, internal mic to sync external audio. My brother is doing video work, and has this fancy mic setup, but it's still tied to the GH1. I've tried to fix audio sync issues in video and that was a huge headache, heh.

Better sensor, faster processing. The sensor is not dual core =). THough, is the processor even? I didn't recall that.

12. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
  13. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    what's the 0 to 60 for the G3 sensor?

14. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    oh yeah, forgot about the dxomarks results back when. I suppose I need to reword and say, as a whole, the GH2/G3 seem better than the GH1 (i recall better banding control, and folks reporting a half or so better in high ISO).

But it's all fairly marginal really. I'd still pick a G3 over a GH1 for other advancements, unless I needed ultimate video control. I forgot the G3 doesn't have full manual control in video (I don't think, couldn't find anything that said it did) and that would be a major point for the GH1. However, factoring in cost, too, in this case, the shift goes further for the GH1.

15. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Of course, if we followed DXO alone in judging quality there probably wouldn't be too many people interested in the M9.

16. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    G3 prices

Panasonic direct is selling the G3 body for $510. Body plus kit lens for 594.

17. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get a G3 if you plan to focus on stills than video. Get a GH1 if you think you'll be doing more serious video. Easy as that!

- or -

Get a GH2 and have the best of both worlds!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Yeah, they've been selling that for the past 3 months? I'm not impatient or anything... =)

+ a lighter wallet =)

19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, I finally voted on this one, with my wallet >> Other! Decided to buy a GF1/20mm combo. I just love these two together. Had them before, sold them, missed them. I know the GF1 is getting very old by digicam standards, but in many ways it still hasn't been topped (for me, at least). I really love the plethora of direct control options and the size/feel, and the IQ isn't bad either. It's as close as I'll be getting to a Fuji X100 (but of course I can still change lenses).

Also purchased a stand alone HD video camera. I keep telling myself that I want a camera than can "do it all", but when I move out of the theoretical realm and actually have to choose cameras to shoot with I don't follow that same thought process, and I end up with very little video.

My only fear was that the Sony A77 would be a monster breakthrough sort of camera, and that I'd want to quickly re-sell the new gear to upgrade. Still need to see some reviews and actual user reaction, but based on the info so far I am not nearly as concerned that I'll "need" to change systems. :)

20. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    The GF1 really is a great camera, and with that lens it's very sweet.

Yes, there are newer cameras. Whether or not they are better for you depends on what and how you shoot, and on budget. Search here, and elsewhere, and see the great GF1 images.

I still use mine pretty much daily. I like the G3, especially because of the built-in EVF. But it's not enough of a leap over the GF1 to induce me to move.

My suggestion: now that you have a good camera and lens, forget about gear for a while. Choose a period, say 6 months, when you just shoot. Push yourself, have fun and enjoy photography. You will learn more about your own vision, and the new stuff will still be there later.

Have fun.