1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH1 vs G2 for still photos

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jeffnesh, Mar 20, 2011.

1. jeffnesh

jeffnesh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2010
    Iowa
    Hello,

I have a GF1 and was reasonably happy with the G1 I previously (but no longer) owned. I'm completing my downsize from FF DSLR and want a G-style body. And I really just need the body (have 20mm and 14-45mm already).

I really have no interest in video, haven't ever used it on the GF1 and can't really think of any reason I'd need to shoot video. I like wide open landscapes, B&W, and some street.

At first I was weighing G2 vs. GH2 and decided for the cost I' could use the G2. Then I started seeing some comparisons (DxO, etc.) that more favorably rank the GH1 over the G2.

Bottom line, for stills, would I regret the older GH1 versus a G2/GH2?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Jeff

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Jeff

DxO ratings are one thing, picture taking is another. I just moved to a GH1 from a G1 and aside from some small advances in sensor sizes I don't see a compelling advantage.

If you're not really printing to sizes where you'll see the advantage in the increased pixel count I would wonder if there will be anything to see over the even G1.

If you have the money to spare then I don't think you'll see a down side

3. jeffnesh

jeffnesh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2010
    Iowa
    Thanks for the reply and info. First, my heading should say "GH1 vs. G2"...I don't have the G1 I used to have, and would like to get something new with warranty, etc. Probably not seeing enough advantage in the GH2, I was considering the differences, for still images, between the GH1 and G2.

I print mostly black and white, usually 15x10...advantage here for the "multi aspect ratio" of the GH1?

Thanks again,
    Jeff

4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    understood ... perhaps you misread what I wrote? I don't have a G2 but as I see little differences between the G1 and the GH1 I was saying that IFF the extra megapixels which the same sensor is divided into make a big difference to your printing then "I don't see a compelling advantage."

advantage ... well at that size you still have the ability to print at 266dpi without upscale from the native 4000
    minimal, but exists ... I put the sized you can get natively using RAW from the sensor on the GH1 here as well as some example of what that means to the image

5. jeffnesh

jeffnesh Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 29, 2010
    Iowa
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification; very helpful page!!

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    no problems ... bashed the first reply out fast on my way out the door this morning. I'm not sure if the extra pixels of the G2 provides much advantage in printing or just extra mush ... I noticed when I compared the G2 to the G10 (which is more or less the G1 sensor) to the GH2 on dpreview that I didn't see much compelling in difference.

I reckon that the G1 is a great camera, from there (GH1 and on) it only changes a little around the edges and adds video

:)