1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH1 owners advice request

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CalBoy87, Feb 1, 2010.

1. CalBoy87

CalBoy87 New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2010
    Hi. I am about to get one (if someone knows of some great deals, welcome to share, for now B&H at 1223 USD is a champ), but I have couple of questions for those who use it. I will not using neck strap at all - too many broken rivets, holes in cam and so on. So my questions to you:
    - how can you use tripod mounted strap, have an access to battery and use tripod at the same time? I want to avoid unscrewing the tripod mount bolt to a minimum
    - what Olympus OM adapter do you recommend? I have 28, 50mm lenses which I would like to use with it, prefer one piece adapter
    - where to get some small plate for tripod to get access to battery with it on the cam
    - what lightweight tripod do you use
    - small shoulder bag big enough for GH1 and 5 small lenses
    Thanks for any informative advice

2. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    In your position I'd ask myself if the difference between the G1 and the GH1 were very significant. And if the answer were no I'd race to get one of the last examples of the G1. It's cheap.

The more lenses you have on you, the greater the chance that the one you most want isn't the one that's mounted. And the more often you change lenses, the more chances there are for dust to enter. The zoom is said to be pretty good as well as versatile. Do you really want to carry five lenses around with you?

3. CalBoy87

CalBoy87 New to Mu-43

Jan 9, 2010
    I prefer to get GH1, video and 14-140 lens (I will use it for video mainly) do it for me. I will upgrade to GH2 in the future, but seems to me it won't be until end of summer. As for the bag, I want to have one bag for all my stuff, not to carry it around but to keep them in one place. Since lenses are much smaller, I will still be happy, after lugging 5D with couple of EF lenses.

4. shrisri

shrisri New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2010
  5. slau

slau Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 'lens mount issue' is news to me, even I involve quite a few micro 4/3 sites. Only happens to this one specific user? From reading your post, it sounds like it is a very common problem/issue :).

Regarding the GH1 plate, I use the Real Right Stuff plate (B6) as I already have been using RRS ball head. It is small enough to allow opening the battery door. If you are not currently a RRS user, it may be more economical to buy a Manfrotto mini ball head with RC2 quick release system (model 486RC2 or 484RC2). If you mount the camera plate 'sideway', it also clears the battery door. I just tried it with mine and it works too.