1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GH1 - out of lurkdom

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DesertRose, Dec 17, 2010.

1. DesertRose

DesertRose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Colorado
    Hi,

I've been lurking and reading for a while since I picked up a G1 and 14-45 kit. I had the opportunity to purchase a GH1 that had the hack fail, and I decided to go for it. The state of the camera is that it takes photos just fine but video is not working.

I take still photos 99.9% of the time and may elect to use the camera as is, but I'm also interested to know if anyone has run into this with the GH1 hack failing and what the outcome was.

Thanks!
    Michelle

2. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I don't know about this myself, but the best forum I know for discussing the hack is HERE. Maybe you can find some help there.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Michelle. My hacked GH1 is still working. My hack reset the firmware to version 0.0 so that newer and/or original firmware can be reinstalled. Check in the Menu to see how the hack is numbered. If you need the unhacked 1.3 I can provide a copy.

4. DesertRose

DesertRose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks! I did a bunch of reading over there last night, and I think it will not be too big of a deal? I hope?? :smile: Camera should be here Monday and I'm looking forward to working on it.

Hi Bill. :smile: MCO_970 from Four Thirds Photo :smile: From what I've read, I think I can simply restore it to original 1.3 with the usual firmware upgrade routine by placing 1.3 on the card & pressing play... If so, I will feel very lucky as this one was comparatively inexpensive.

Hope you are still enjoying your m4/3 gear immensely! :smile:

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Maybe not so easy?

I received it from good sources that several GH1's have sustained permanent damage to the "Venus" engine, caused by the hack. The units went back to Panasonic and the owner's were told that the cost to repair it was ~ $800 - Ouch. Apparently, the resulting damage is easy for Panasonic to identify.

Damage caused by hacking the firmware will void the warranty. I think this becomes more apparent when you realize that the GH2 uses two totally updated processors that can safely handle the increased sampling rate. If it were only hacking firmware I think GH2 would have used that method as well.

Good luck - keep us posted

6. DesertRose

DesertRose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Colorado
    Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

Hi Bob :smile: -

I got lucky... :2thumbs: It accepted a hacked version that has NO mods (essentially that resets all the hacked settings). It is not locking up in video mode anymore and now the AVCHD video is functioning exactly as it would with standard firmware.

The camera should accept official Panny firmware, but I'm disinclined to change it any further. There would be no change in functionality. Perhaps it's best to leave well enough and enjoy!

Man, the focus speed seems instant on this compared to the little lag on the G1. Can't wait to get out and do some real shooting with it.

YAHOO!!! :biggrin:

Cheers,
    Michelle

7. Wasabi Bob

Good deal!

I'd strongly consider installing the latest firmware versions in both the camera and the 14-140. Combined, they will slightly increase the AF speed - much more in the GH2. Good luck - happy holidays. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

8. DesertRose

DesertRose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Colorado
    I'm kind of hoping that down the road in a few months I might be able to trade it as a hackable GH1 body for a GH2 body. :smile: THAT will be where I really would like to get to. The GH2 looks *amazing*...

9. Wasabi Bob

Good luck!

I'm very happy with mine. I'm now just feeling it out to see what iy can do with IR photography. That's one area of digital photography that I don't have too much experience with. Once upon a time I shot lots of Kodak Infrared Aero Extachrome.

Enjoy the GH1 - happy holidays

• Like Like x 1
  10. DesertRose

DesertRose Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Colorado
    Today was the first real shooting day with the GH1 - and I am pleased with the IQ for a lightweight landscape setup. Looks quite a bit cleaner at base ISO than G1, and the RAW files accept processing well.