1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH1 or G3 - Which is best for photos?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shroo, Jan 5, 2013.

1. shroo

shroo New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2012
    Hi everyone, I wondered if anyone can give their opinion on the above.

I only really take photos and really want to know if there's much difference in the 2 cameras bearing in mind that they have 2 sensors.
    I'm after a camera with a dedicated EVF because I'd like to use triggers on the hotshoe.

I'm looking at the either the GH1 or G3 because they're in my price range 2nd hand in the UK.

I have an E-P1 at the moment and tend to use old OM lenses so after testing both in London Camera Exchange I've found it a lot easier to focus using the EVF. It's pretty much impossible to manual focus in bright light with the E-P1.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Joel

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Video aside I believe the G3 is the better choice
    I have had both cameras
    The G3 has a higher resolution later sensor, better white balance and more natural colours
    It is also (just) pocketable with a Pancake attached which for me is a great option / bonus
    The touchscreen is also a benefit is some circumstances - although like many I prefer physical buttons and dials - the option of pinpoint focus using the LCD screen is sometimes very handy
    Regards
    Rob

• Like Like x 2
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Looking at DXO mark and knowing the body from my G2 the GH1 looks like a better camera.
    The GH1 has better controls and EVF eye sensor.
    if you can get a GH1 at good physical condition you will have a better camera then the G3. I do not see any advantage for the G3 except for a newer body.

• Like Like x 1
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Is the color advantage when shooting RAW?

5. shroo

shroo New to Mu-43

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks for the input! Do you think there was any noticeable difference with auto focus between them?

Cheers

6. At low to middling ISOs my choice would be (and in my case is) the GH1, mostly for it's extra dynamic range. It is also still the only Panasonic I have used where I didn't have issues getting the colours to my liking. However, above ISO 1600 the GH1 will display noise banding. If you are a nightowl, this would be the one reason I might consider the G3 in front of the GH1.

Edit: The extra megapickles of the G3 would be advantageous for heavy cropping if applicable.

• Like Like x 1