1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH1 Jpeg OUT OF CAMERA colors

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by M43guy, Jul 1, 2011.

1. M43guy

M43guy New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2011
    I think I am spoiled with the Oly's Jpeg colors..just Out of Camera-- no Post processing, the colors look great, FOR ME...

the living room sofa I have has the same or similar color OOC when I shoot it with the E-PL2..

now I just got my GH1-- i did same test(not scientific-- just shot with "P" on both GH! and E-PL2 with flash etc..... the Photo from the GH!, the mocha color of the sofa is greenish/cooler looking -- not pleasing to the eye-- but compared to the E-PL2..I like the warmer color of the sofa on that OLY pic.. or at least close to what my eye can see in real life(the color of the sofa I mean--they match--)...

having said that how can or what setting do i do on the GH1 to approximate or at least copy the color settings OUT OF CAMERA, the E-PL2 colors/look?

any suggestions?

I really don't want to post process especially if they are only family pics and not really "important" or paid events/photos...

and no I really do not want to shoot RAW either.. if we can just stick to.. what settings on GH1 I can do to mimic the OLY Jpeg colors.. that will be great suggestion.. thanks! emoticon - smile

P.S. this is not an oly vs panny thread.. thanks :)

2. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    I don't think there's is way around the blue Panasonic cast. I had the same problem when I switched from Oly to Panasonic 6 months ago. If you're more into video than stills you'll learn to love whatever the gh1 offers you. If you are more into stills, go back to Oly and stick with it. For me, after 6 months with Panasonic, Olympus colors are way too warm for my taste.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Panny JPG engine is almost infinitely tunable.

There are a couple threads on here suggesting adjustments to white balance and film mode settings that make HUGE differences in the color rendition. Basically, it's doing what you would during RAW conversion, in camera. With the different custom presets, you can have a couple options available at the twist of a dial. (I feel you need one for indoor/artificial light and one for outdoor)

4. I just bought a GH1 to go with my E-P1 and experienced the same issue. I briefly tried playing with the film modes, etc and thought I had found a setting that I liked but I found that colours that appeared pleasing on the camera's LCD were dull and lifeless when I viewed them on my computer. I gave up, spent a little bit of time making a preset in Adobe Camera RAW and now love the colours I get from the GH1 as much as I do those from my E-P1.

For my purposes I have no real problem shooting with jpeg or raw but the colour response of the GH1's LCD made finding a jpeg setting a real pain in the arse. From my experience I found that if the colours looked horribly over saturated on the LCD they would probably look good on the computer, which is not a good way to establish a good jpeg setting. I don't know if my camera's LCD has a problem, I don't want to start a raw vs jpeg argument, I'm just stating the facts that made my give up on finding a jpeg setting for my GH1 and led to me finding a RAW setting that I like just as much as my Oly jpegs.

5. M43guy

M43guy New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2011
    yes I think the LCD of the GH1 has that cool/greenish/bluish color-- just not look good when you check portraits-- the skin look yucky..

sometimes it is not that I am looking for skin accuracy colors but I am looking for PLEASING SKIN TONES color OOC... in my E-PL2-- I look good! in the GH1 I look yucky hahaha :smile: and yes this is not a RAW vs JPEG thread

6. M43guy

M43guy New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2011
    do you guys think I should keep it? I only got it for $399 plus($175-$100 discount) = $75 for a panny 14-42 that is why I decided to buy it...

I have a few days to decide.. I never intended to return it or never crossed my mind..but now that I am not happy with the colors....

7. Try finding the Panasonic jpeg threads that tc mentioned. I'm on my phone at the moment so it's a bit more awkward to navigate. I assume they are going to be in the Panasonic section of the forum and dated a couple of months ago.

BTW, having found an image output setting that I like I am really enjoying my GH1. I love the articulated screen, the viewfinder is useful as a last resort, and the AF with the 14-140 is as fast as I would ever really need. I don't particularly like the shrunken DSLR-style handgrip or the front mounted control dial though, and compared to the E-P1 it sure ain't a pretty thing to look at!

8. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    My GH1 settings are as follows:

Dynamic
    +1
    +0
    +2
    +1

I get awesome colors OOC with those settings, and they closely approximate the processed RAW output I'm looking for.

The rumors of OOC JPEG problems for Panasonic cameras are vastly over-rated, and IMO likely come mainly from users who have never touched any of the film modes, and/or who have never gone with anything but AWB.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    If you don't plan on shooting RAW, I don't think it makes sense to keep it. Too much headache for a hobby. Maybe you should consider Panasonic G3 which I think fixed the color issue.

10. Does not trusting the LCD colour accuracy count as an excuse? :smile:

11. M43guy

M43guy New to Mu-43

Jul 1, 2011
    I take a pic _-all auto on EPL2-- see the pic on EPL2 LCD i like the colors.. then transfer the SD card to my GH1-- I look at the pic on GH1 LCD-- I don't like colors :frown: :smile: