GH1, is anyone still shooting with one?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kwaphoto, Jun 16, 2012.

1. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    I still have my GH1, but it mainly collects dust. It's a great little camera and I'm curious if anyone still have one that they use frequently. I keep thinking I should stop ignoring this little gem. For now, my X100 and X10 get 95% of the work.

If the OP in this thread ( calls his GH2 and "antique", what does that make my GH1? A classic? What about my dust collecting GF1? :rolleyes:
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I still use mine alongside the E-M5, primarily for the different handling. I'll probably keep using it until a) Olympus releases a compact Pen body with the E-M5 sensor, or b) Panasonic releases a G (not GH) body with a comparable sensor. After having spent the money to buy an E-M5 I doubt that I would buy another GH body to go alongside (too expensive).

The "antique" reference to the GH2 was just Kevin having a dig at the E-M5.
  3. digi2ap

digi2ap Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes I still have and use mine though primarily for video. I never really bonded with it for photography although for taking stock shots when video gathering it is ideal.
  4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Not quite gathering dust, but not used frequently either. My GH2 gets most of the video duty now, but the GH1 is still used for adapted lenses, and with the 14-140. As far as ancient goes, I still have and use my Canon 300D - original DReb and 1Ds, both cameras are about 10 years old now and I do have a 7D and T3i.
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Actually I was having a dig at the "all hail the king of m43" silliness.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    If the GH2 is "antique", then my E-PL1 must be "prehistoric" :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. brunerww

Mar 5, 2011
    I make "shootout" videos for my blog like this one between my GH2 and a rented NEX-VG20, so I've used the "old" GH1 for that. Now that have a camcorder, it will be replaced in that job.

Also used it a few weeks ago as a backup to the GH2 for stills at an important event . Since I didn't know it couldn't autofocus with my old 4/3 lenses, some of the shots were screwed up.

I think I'm convincing myself that I need sell it to make room for the GH3 :)

Hybrid Camera Revolution
  8. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I use my GH1 all the time :)
    This is my latest pic from today.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use my older G1 pretty often. Old cameras never become obsolete.
  10. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    G1 is the oldest

and my only camera, use it nearly every day !

Grid - nice pic, good heat haze there.
  11. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    My GH1 is the only ILC that I have (it came with a 14-42). Following the advice I have read here, instead of upgrading the body, I have been picking up glass - 25/1.4, 14/2.5 and 45-200.

Recently, it's been pretty hard trying to resist the E-M5. This thread is making it harder though... ("GH1 gathering dust"... ouch!)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. winsor

winsor Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    little red dot - city of SIN
    arthur koh
    Must not get myself to buy new omd... Must shoot more with my one and only gh1
  13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Same here.. Well my only Digital one I almost never leave the house without my G1. I love it.
    Its gotten allot of body scratches, one small screen scratch and even the rubber VF eye pad has a tare in it now.
    But a GH1 body is the only Upgrade I would consider, besides the way out of my price range E-M5.

Although I am thinking of just buying another Used G1 Body and selling my old one.
  14. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012

I have an OMD and GH1. I much prefer the stills from the OMD. I have been playing with the video on the OMD, and feeling a bit better about it, but I think I will keep the GH1. Apart from the more flexible video, my daughters can use it teamed with the 14-45mm when they need a "proper" camera. The 20mm f1.7, and 45mm f1.8 live with the OMD.

15. Old Picker

Old Picker Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2012
    Cwmbran Wales UK
    Hi GH1 Buddies,
    I still have my 2 GH1's and use them, as I find them easier to use at the moment than my GH2 (still trying to learn how to use it.) I'll also keep the GH1's for video as at some point, I want to learn to multi-film my guitar playing son from various angles etc to produce videos for him. I bought the GH2 body cheap for £350(well cheap for the UK) from a camera shop and want to be convinced it is not a dud. It would help if I knew how to use it..............
    I do love the OMD and the images that I have seen here, but then again, I tend to love all the photo's from all the cameras that guys post.
  16. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    I'm using mine regularly with the 45-175mm for street photos. I carry it along with my Pentax k5.