GH1 hack settings - advice for a video newbie please

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by daveproctor, Nov 16, 2010.

1. daveproctor

daveproctor Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    At the outset let me stress I am a complete novice when it comes to video shooting but a newly acquired GH1 has got me very interested in improving my knowledge.

I have downloaded ptools with a view to hacking my GH1 and am slightly overwhelmed by the various options available. To get me started I want the highest quality/frame rate 1080 video setting without causing any stability issues and would be very grateful if somene could give me the basic settings I need to select in ptools to achieve this.

Sorry if this sounds a stupid request but whilst I am pretty self sufficient when it comes to stills this new video adventure is a bit daunting
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Dave, I'm moving this into the Video section and hope you'll get some good help from some savvy members very soon!
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Dave have you found these resources?

PTool Manual.

or even better:-

PTool for beginners.

I mainly hacked mine to get PAL as I got caught out by buying a US model. I went for the 'middle' bit rate settings.
  4. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    You cannot really affect frame rate in the hack, you can just up the bitrate. Even native 24p is a bit unstable.

Are you going to use AVCHD or MJPEG? The DVXuser forum has a lot of different settings for you to try. I cannot remember what I use for MJPEG, but for AVCHD i use the C settings in ptool.

I attached my setb.ini to this post. Just put it in your ptool folder and you can check what I use for 99% stable AVCHD and super high quality MJPEG on my GF1. You should be able to try these on you GH1 also. (just remove the .txt from the end of the filename)

Hope this helps. I haven't messed with the settings for months, since I found a combo that suits me really well :)
  5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Not worth the hack ..

For what it is worth, here in the U.S. I know of 2 cases where the "hack" caused the Venus engine to fail. In the first case Panasonic covered the repair under warranty. They have since changed their policy and will no longer cover any related damages. BTW,the repair of the 2nd unit cost ~ $700.

Honestly, if performance is that important, wait for the GH2. The sampling rate was supposed to be increased to 25 mbps which I believe is the official AVCHD spec. To me, it's not worth risking $700 just to squeeze a bit more quality.