1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH1 Error Message

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by demiro, Jan 26, 2014.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    So I sold my old GH1 on ebay. Buyer is reporting that he gets a yellow exclamation point error message when camera powers down. I don't recall seeing that, but I wasn't using camera all that much.

A little Googling led me to dvxusers forum where they seem to say that entering the service menu causes that exclamation point message. I'm wondering what any old school GH1 shooters have experienced? Any insight in to the exclamation point message?

If the camera I sold has an issue I want to refund my buyer, but it sounds like this may not be an issue at all.

Thanks in advance!

2. Never seen it before, sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I suspect that the buyer may have tried to hack the unit loading in new firmware. The " ! " is displayed when the country version designation has been erased. This occurs just before people increase the number of supported languages. Have him send you a photo taken with the camera. Look at the EXIF data and see what firmware version it shows. Compare that file to a photo you took. If it does not match, you caught him red handed! I use PhotoME to read the EXIF data.

4. Big Quiche

Big Quiche New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2014
    I'm actually the "buyer" and I've been looking pretty much daily on ways to clear this exclamation point on shut down... Not looking to scam anyone, or rip anyone off... Not having installed any "hackware" - As I actually bought a second GH1 to match my 1st for a two camera shoot... And he sold me one with a lens that would match my first as well...

Anyway, I'm just trying to make sure I didn't buy something about to become trash... Just looking to fix what seems to be a simple warning light thing, and make sure it's NOT something more terminal. So I've been looking at this thread to see if anyone has offered any useful advice...

So Bob, my hands are far from red.

5. Wasabi Bob

OK, so the "!" appears on power down after one of several different incidents has taken place. The first thing I would do is to check and see what firmware version is installed. You need to look at the EXIF data in a photo. You cannot determine the full version from the menu display option. I use PhotoME.
    In the Manufacturers Notes section you'll see something like this:

[Manufacturer notes]
    Quality Mode: High
    Firmware Version: Version 1.0.0
    White Balance: Auto

If the firmware version is something other than the last official version, than that suggests that someone tried to load modified firmware into it.
    According to the Panasonic web site, the last version for GH1 was:
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html
    DMC-GH1 Ver.1.3 2010/05/10

If it's not firmware related than someone may have entered the service mode and not exited correctly. Depending on what was done, accidentally or intentionally, it could have changed some of the alignment parameters. I'd also check to see if the video is set to NTSC (30 fps) or PAL at (25 fps). If you live in North America, you obviously want NTSC.

The biggest concern is that GH1 main PCB's are probably no longer available, so there is a real possibility that it can't be repaired. If the board is available, I'd bet it would cost much more than you paid for the camera.

6. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Big Quiche, just to be clear, I don't think you have any culpability in this. I started this thread trying to see what info might be out there, not to somehow blame you.

7. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    The firmware version is 1.32:000. I did go in to the service menu to access shutter count. My first guess, after reading on dvxuser, is that accessing the service menu (or maybe not leaving it properly?) may be the issue. At least one person reported that happening but with no ill effects beyond the exclamation point.

8. Wasabi Bob

When the "!" is displayed, it's indicating that the file that contains the alignment data is effectively still open, subject to change or corruption. I agree, it will probably work fine, but there is that possibility that data can get corrupted. If that happens you would have a good chance of owning an expensive paper weight. With no malice intended, to anyone, this is a good example of what happens when we start poking in places that were not intended for the end user to be.

9. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Bob, you seem to know a lot about this -- do you know how to close the file?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    • Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks previz. Does it make sense that camera still functions normally if it is in permanent service mode?

12. previz

previz Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2011
    Slovenia
    Peter
    From what I read, camera should function normally.
    In this mode you have enabled some hidden options and settings (some are scary).
    Service manual here

13. Fair point, but it does bring to question of why information as useful as the camera's shutter count has to be buried so many levels down that it requires going into the service menus to get it (and I don't single out Panasonic here).

14. Big Quiche

Big Quiche New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2014
    Dean, I actually wanted to thank you for starting this thread and trying to figure out what might be the issue... Truly.

-Tom

15. Big Quiche

Big Quiche New to Mu-43

Jan 28, 2014

I found that post earlier... I'm not so computer or camera savvy... But what does "RE-INITIALIZING" a camera mean? Does it just bring it back to factory settings, or does it scrub EVERYTHING?

16. Wasabi Bob

The previous post is correct.

The way the service centers exit this mode is by using their "service" software. It performs the necessary camera alignments and automatically closes all the files before exiting the service mode. This operation is very similar to what is required when the main PCB is replaced. It comes from the source without any "region identity". The camera is aligned and the technician declares what region the camera is for. The data is permanently written to the PCB. Prior to declaring the identity, the camera displays the "!", indicating that it's in service mode which is where your GH1 appears to be.

To the best of my knowledge, using the "manual" in camera method described in the previous post, once you enter this area you only have allotted times in each menu selection, usually just a few seconds. I've been told that if you take too long, it automatically defaults to a Japanese version, where it remains. I've never been there and can neither verify or dispute that fact - but the info did come from reputable sources.

Wish I could help you but that's all I know.

• Like Like x 1