GH1 Case - Generic or Lumix specific?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by d_w31, Mar 17, 2010.

1. d_w31

d_w31 New to Mu-43

Mar 17, 2010
    Hey everyone, I was just wondering if you could comment on whether it is a good idea to go with a generic or Lumix specific case for the GH1. I read that having a manufacturer-specific case makes it easy target for thieves, so I am thinking maybe it is best to just use a regular messenger bag (with padding inside, of course) to carry a GH1?
  2. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    A quick look two months ago at what Panasonic was selling in Japan as the case for the G(H)1 gave me the impression that it didn't offer much value for money as a case and was rather an overpriced "accessory". Maybe this was too harsh, and I now forget if, high price aside, it seemed awkward to use or only minimally protective.

So I walked elsewhere in the same camera shop and got the smallest in a range of neoprene (?) containers -- "pouches"? "Cases" would make them sound more rigid than they are -- for DSLRS. It's branded "PixGEAR", if this means anything, cost less than half what Panasonic charged, and was better for my own purposes. When I'm in a picture-taking mood I remove the pouch, ram it into a larger bag or a large pocket, and use the camera "naked".

I don't suppose thieves know what brands are or care whether something is branded or not. They'll grab what they can and think about the details later. Best is to decide the kind of case you want and then look for the best value for money available.