GH1 Body Only ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jonkobeck, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    I hate zooms. I think their touristy and gimmicky. Now that I p***** people off let me ask a question. The only lens I ever need ever in my entire photographic career are the 28 35 and 50' with 35 being used the most.

So would it make sense for me to buy a GH1 from one of those eBay sellers who are authorized pan dealers? Body only is 650.00

The kit on Amazon is 1150.00 and that's weird because last week for like 24 hours is was 995.00. I wonder if it's a computer glitch.

Anyway, does this sound like a good idea? And would I be shooting myself in the foot for any potential video uses with the 20 prime? I assume it shoots video well?

2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    A few things:

a. The 14-140 is actually a really nice lens if you can get it with the kit for cheap - good quality, well-balanced on the GH1, and incredibly quiet. The 20/1.7 is NOT a great video lens - it's very noisy, and constantly hunts focus. You're far better off with manual legacy lenses for video in any regards unless you use the aforementioned 14-140. Not only that, but if you get the kit with the lens you can sell the lens if you really don't like it and get a nice few bucks to offset the cost of the camera.

b. If you do get the GH1 body only, make sure it's the US version. Otherwise you'll have to install the hack so you can change the language and perhaps the video settings on it, or end up working with Japanese menus.

c. You can get better deals off forums like this from people whom you perhaps trust a bit more than anonymous vendors. I bought my GH1+kit for $999, along with the 20/1.7 for another $325 about a year ago from a forum member, and they were basically brand new. I'm sure you can do better than that now.

d. If you don't need video, consider getting a G1 body instead. Aside from the aspect ratio feature you most likely won't be able to tell the difference in 99% of your photos between it and the GH1, and you can get fantastic deals on the G1 right now. It's still a performer.

Good luck to you!