GH1 and Leica Vario Elmarit 14-50 OIS lens?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by crashwins, Sep 18, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Anyone have any experience with this setup for video? Wondering if the OIS would work and really if the output (and cost for this lens) is worth it? I'm talking about the lens with the L1, which I actually have, just not the kit lens. Thanks!

2. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I use this lens (14-50/2.8-3.5) with my GH2 and AF100. With the AF100, it's effectively a full-manual lens.

On the GH2, the OIS works, but not as well as the 14-140 or 12-35 (the 2 other OIS lenses I own). Autofocus is AF-S only and works VERY slow. Optical and mechanical smoothness are very, very good, with one caveat: sometimes in the life of these zooms, 1-3 screws become loose in the inner barrel and cause the lens to stick at ~22mm. To solve this, you can remove the rubber zoom ring and two stick-on metal access panels (be careful not to bend them too badly) and re-tighten the screws.

3. digi2ap

digi2ap Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2011
    London
    I had exactly this set up for a while and it worked well for video. There are some downsides though. No autofocus on the GH1 but OK as McBob says on the GH2. The OIS does work and effectively too but when switched on makes enough of a noise to be noticeable on the GH1 mic. This is not such a problem though if you mic separately and at a distance. The final grumble and reason I sold is that the lack of constant aperture became an issue after a while. So now I have the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 (also 4/3) and though it is without OIS it is a good video interview lens. It is considerably cheaper too.

This video was entirely filmed with the GH1/Leica Vario Elmarit 14-50 - http://digi2ap.wordpress.com/2011/09/13/blog/