GH1-adapters, tripod and bag question

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by CalBoy87, Jan 23, 2010.

1. CalBoy87

CalBoy87 New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Hi. I am planning to get GH1 (2?) soon. My question for existing owners:
    -what is a GOOD adapter for Canon FD and Olympus OM?
    I had adapter for 5D and was cheap and bad. I've seen some from Cirrus, all brass, but about 120-130 USD. Do I really need all brass adapter, or 50 USD thing will do? My Canon adapter had some play, are the ones for 4/3 better?
    -what will be good tripod for this cam? I set my eye on Velbon Maxi-L, need something below 1 kg weight, 40cm length folded, at least 150cm height. Anything else outhere?
    -some shoulder bag? GH1 with 14-140 on it plus 4-5 micro 4/3 lenses, tripod snaps (optional)
    Thank you all for your experienced advice

2. Alan Wolf

Alan Wolf Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Adapter and tripod

So far I have 2, neither for the mounts you asked about. But the fotodiox mount (for M) is a really well machined adapter—there's less play in the M lens to adapter than there is in the m4/3 mount (at least the one on my camera) to the m4/3 lenses. So my assumption is that all of their adapters are pretty well made, and priced reasonably.

Just last night I ran into this tripod:

http://www.amazon.com/Section-Carbo...DAFO/ref=dp_return_2?ie=UTF8&n=502394&s=photo

that certainly meets your requirements. It's hard getting below the 2 pound mark (this without a head). I tried finding some critical reviews of it, and haven't been able to, other than several on clubSnap, so you'd certainly want to try and get some more information about it. It looks well made, and does the full flip leg fold that saves quite a bit of space; I just don't know how long it would stay tight. I was looking, because I have 2 Gitzos, and the smaller one (G126, an old traveller series that is aluminum) is a good compact size, but weighs over 3 pounds. If you can find a used Gitzo you really can't go wrong, but there's not much in that super low weight range I don't think. It's true though that a tripod will be around many years after the camera that you bought it for is being used, so if you're in for the long haul, buy a good one. (Ditto heads, and I think RRS is making them about as well as anyone ever has.)

Camera bags you absolutely need to try out for yourself, more than any other accessory. If not the exact bag model, then at least the manufacturer's line. Some people swear by Domkes, others swear at them. Ditto any of the other manufacturers. They all have their design features that end up working for some people, and not for others. Which direction the top flips in, how the rain cover folds, you name it. Somehow each new camera system seems to invoke an additional 2 or 3 bags on my shelf.