GH1&2 hit the road

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I'm currently in Minnesota en route to my first motorcycle story with Panasonic cameras. Destination - the byways and backroads of Kansas in search of barbecue.

Previously, I've shot with a Nikon D70, Pentax K20d, Pentax K-x, as well a Ricoh GX-100 and Canon G10. For this trip I've got the 2 GHs as well as the 14-140, 100-300, and 20 1.7. In the M43 world this is a big kit, but I've carried more on my back, literally, with APS-c. With APS-c, I usually tried to manage weight with 1 body plus 1 P&S or 2 bodies plus pancake primes. I'll have a Harley on this trip, so the bag can rest on the pillon seat.

I'm looking forward to playing with the 100-300, and getting the most out of the 14-140. The 20 is for low light, of course. The theme for this trip is barbecue, so expect a lot of foodie shots!

I'll try to post from the road. If not, I'll share my thoughts when I return.

Wish me luck - Kansas City here I come!

my iPhone sent this

Attachments

• image-255149611.png
    image-255149611.png
    795.8 KB · Views: 193

John M Flores

Super Moderator

Pan Korop

Mu-43 Veteran
Special thanks to Worth Harley Davidson for loaning me a bike
Oh! I thought you travelled on a motorcycle, as a motorcyclist,
it ends up your a biker, on a bike :biggrin:

Don't show your :43: in Sturgis : it may appear as a wimps' camera.

Don't post it on Twitter either : you're not a congressman. Are you ?

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Oh! I thought you travelled on a motorcycle, as a motorcyclist,
it ends up your a biker, on a bike :biggrin:

Don't show your :43: in Sturgis : it may appear as a wimps' camera.

Don't post it on Twitter either : you're not a congressman. Are you ?

LOL, on this trip I am a biker. My motto is "two wheels good". Doesn't matter - it's better than a cage.

At photo rallies (if they existed), would drunken bearded men yell at women photographers, "show us you TIFFs!"???

John M Flores

Super Moderator
5872893738_3ea6dfe285_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My day in a single photo by john m flores, on Flickr

Kansas is big and broad and more picturesque than I had imagined. And not entirely flat. The land undulates softly, like giant ocean waves. It's hard to capture in a photo. At times I wish that I had a wide angle (my widest is the 14 end of the 14-140), but even then the subtle features of the landscape would be pushed back in the frame. It does not help that it's 94 degrees and I'm in full gear, so every foray off the bike results in copious perspiration. I've got a couple of days and hundreds of miles to figure it out.

The cameras are performing fine, with the 14-140 seeing the most duty. I even tried mounting it to the bike but the sight of the lens hood vibrating made me wary. Went you mount a camera to a bike, every ounce - particularly those far away from the tripod socket - counts. That's why in the past I've had a diminutive Ricoh GX100 with me. The ideal M43 setup might be the GF3 with the Oly wide zoom. Or maybe the Panny 14, although that may not be wide enough. Or maybe another Ricoh...

Off to Great Bend today. And more barbecue, of course.

The GH2 did give me a "lens is not on correctly" message once. Turned if off then on and that went away.

John M Flores

Super Moderator
5875644144_2987cc5a2a_b.jpg

100 degrees in the shade by john m flores, on Flickr

So tried buying an Olympus 9-18 in Wichita today, thinking that it would weigh a lot less than the Panny 14-140 as well as being wider. Alas, the two camera stores I called were closed and none of the three Best Buys had one. My wallet is happier, but I think it would have helped.

The 14-140 did fine, but the lens and the camera are heavy and really taxed the Vanguard ballhead. I'll try a couple more shots and angles tomorrow.

Oh, and here was lunch:

5875257797_4d386c89ee_b.jpg

Lunch - Hog Wild Pit Barbecue, Hutchinson KS by john m flores, on Flickr

You've posted some great photographs John, but this is the first one that has made my mouth water. Man, does that barbecue look good!

John M Flores

Super Moderator
5879475322_000fbc3ebf_b.jpg

Wide Open by john m flores, on Flickr

5879477402_2b208b8118_b.jpg

Wind Power by john m flores, on Flickr

All of these photos are quickly edited in Gimp on the HP netbook. I've got all the photos backed up on the netbook and haven't erased the cards, so I've got redundancy. When I get home, I download them all into Lightroom and then go through the arduous sifting process.

Latest threads

Top Bottom