1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH 4 V1.1 Firmware Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rbsandor, Jul 22, 2014.

1. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    I've downloaded the V1.1 firmware to my laptop and then copied it to a formatted SD card. The card was inserted to the camera which held a fully charged battery, the camera turned on and the Play button pressed. The message I got was "no valid picture to play". I doubled checked the card by opening it to determine if the V1.1 bin was present and it was. Any ideas as to what might be going wrong? Thanks, Richard

2. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    One thing I read said you may need to take a couple photos on the card between formatting it and copying the bin onto it. Not sure if it will help in this case, but it can't hurt.

3. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    one other thing to check is the actual firmware already on the camera as that message is also displayed if the firmware already on the camera is the same or newer than the one on the card.

It might already have the 1.1 firmware on the camera.

also did you format the card in camera or in the laptop, it should be done in the camera.

Paul

4. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    Some digital magic just occurred. After taking pix, formatting the card in camera a number of times and down-loading the firmware upgrade a second time, the upgrade worked. Possibly the original download was corrupted. Richard

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

By default the camera goes to the playback mode when you power it up. It also reboots to PLAY after a firmware update. If there aren't any photos on the card, the "No Valid ..." message pops up. That's not a problem, just the GH4's reaction to no photos on the card.

Second, you need to "copy and paste" the firmware to the card. It's been discussed, many times, that dragging the file into the card (especially on a Mac) results in the GH4 not seeing the file. I've had this happen to me once.

And finally, yes, the battery needs to be fully charged - right off the charger.

Glad to hear you got it working. Hope these steps can be of some benefit to others reading this thread.

6. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    Bob: thanks for the reply. As a new user to Panasonic, I wasn't aware that copying and pasting the file to the card was preferable to dragging it to the card. Got lucky though as repeated dragging finally was recognized. Richard

7. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I am running Windows 8.1 and I dragged and dropped the GH4 firmware file and it worked just fine, first time.

I also drag and dropped 6 lens firmwares without any issues.

I did all these updates over two days on one battery charge while also tooling around with settings, taking test photos, and using the LCD to view the effect of settings changes. So a completely full battery isn't necessary, though it is out course a really really good idea.