1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH 4 Focus Area Set

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rbsandor, Oct 24, 2014.

1. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    Hi Folks: new to the GH 4. In Rec mode, I have Fn1 programmed to Focus Area Set, but I can't find a way to choose a "home position". Is it possible to do so? Thanks, Richard

2. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    In case I haven't phrased the question clearly, here's another version. On two other cameras I own, and E-M1 and a Nikon, you can program a button to bring a focus point to a desired position. In my case, it's the center. Is it possible to do so on the GH 4? So far, all I'm able to do is activate the focus point wherever it may be after pressing the Fn1 button. I can't center it. Thanks, Richard

3. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Press on anywhere on the screen, then you probably altered the focus point somewhere, there will be a Disp. Reset tab shown on the left bottom corner about a second later

4. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    Dennis: thanks for the reply. Is there any way to do that while looking through the viewfinder? I'm trying not to take my eye from the viewfinder. Thanks again, Richard

5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    After making any change to the focus position (at least in one point and spot) you should be able to just hit the DISP button to have it re-center.

After a week of vacation shooting I found the focus positioning the most frustrating part of the GH4 for photography. While I'm sure Panasonic this everyone loves touch screen focusing, I prefer to look through the view finder. I've shot both Canon and Nikon bodies too and prefer the Canon way of being able to quickly rotate dials (from dial for up and down, back dial for side to side) to make the point quickly, or to tap the joystick to re-enter it. At least Panasonic get us the DISP button function, but it would be nice to be able to reassign the WIFI button to this while shooting so it's on the top and easy to get to.

Shame my EVF broke while I was away and I've ended up using it just like a P&S. Off to Panasonic it goes.... let's hope they turn turn things around quickly..... :(

6. rbsandor

rbsandor Mu-43 Regular

Jan 3, 2013
    Denver CO
    Dave: thanks for your reply. After reading your suggestion, here's what I found. If the focus point appears as a white colored outline in the screen, pressing the DISP button doesn't move it. If though, you move the point via the 4 way wheel, the focus point turns yellow. Now a press of the DISP centers it.
    Seems an oversight on Panasonic's part not to allow a re-centering with a one step effort. Richard

7. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    There are much the same problems with the GX-7. The camera has many and varied behaviors depending if the touch screen is on or off,and on how the camera is set up. On touch screen there is a disp arrow at the bottom left that seldom works when you are using the EVF. I am a left eyed glasses wearer and my nose makes the center focus wander even if I don't touch it. You can move focal area around with your finger even if the touch screen is dark and you are looking through the EVF. The settings are all visible through the EVF. The easiest thing is to turn the touch screen off but I am learning to get around the problem,mostly by navigating with the finger on the screen or touching the disp buttons,either on the screen or the back of the camera.