GH 3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by photoeagle, Jan 20, 2016.

1. photoeagle

photoeagle Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2015
    Brad Harris
    A GH3 is at a good price point. For those that shoot using a GH3 how do you like yor camera.
  2. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    The Gh3 is incredibly affordable right now if you can find them brand new in stock.
    If you can appreciate the larger body and extremely comfortable grip the "total" package is great for universal application for many users.
    I'm heavily invested in full size Canon dslr gear and that is still the gear I highly use. My Oly E-m5 and Gh3 is my secondary system for family documentation and casual gatherings. When I pair my Gh3 with 12-35mm it's an amazing camera for "good light" shooting for stills and video. I use a spider holster pro system for both my Canon gear and I use the same base bracket for my GH3.

Like anything we can always justify our spending on gear dependent on how critical you are in obtainable IQ. For good light shooting with the 12-35mm I find this camera to be awesome when you print photos and very good for pixel peepers. I rate the Gh3 as an extremely capable camera that is pretty much like as if I purchased a crop sensor larger dslr. I'm more impressed with the 12-35mm IQ with fantastic IQ more than shooting with the PL25 f/1.4 prime. I shoot with primes equally as much as zooms. I use whatever is required to obtain the "shots".

However even with all of this exposure I've had in owning M43 gear for years I'll still grab my Canon's for professional events photography an crucial documentation for stills. This is where I still have heavy preference (pun intended) in grabbing a Dslr for professional work and the M43 is still my hobby camera.

When the M43 platform achieves noise control like my older Canon 5dmk2 I will be extremely happy. At this point in time the gh3 requires heavy noise reduction in low light photography. That is still not acceptable for me when human skin texture is concerned.

So as you can see there is application to all kinds of photo gear. Everyone has a personal application to the art.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. galalad

galalad New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2014
    Scottish Borders
    My favorite camera! Comfortable and well appointed. Good I.Q. with PL 14-45 and 12-32.
  4. PSBaxter

PSBaxter New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2013
    Georgia, USA
    Paul Baxter
    I sold my Canon 7d and 40 lbs of Canon gear and purchased a GH3 and 12 lbs of M4/3 gear and I could'nt be happier. The 16mp sensor in the GH3 gives me everything the 18mp 7d sensor did along with less noise. I find the EVF (even the much maligned EVF in the GH3) far superior to the optical view finders. The articulating screen oh the GH3 has become indispensible to the way I shoot, and the touch screen is awesome.

The 7-14, 12-35, and 35-100 (both are the f2/8 lenses) along with the Oly 60 macro are as good or better than the Canon L lenses I was using. I don't care what charts say. I have pics to compare and the M4/3 lenses are awesome.

None of the newer M4/3 bodies have tempted me to make a change. I like a simple interface, I don't shoot jpeg or need IBIS, and the Oly bodies are too small for my hands. The G7 does not handle as good for me as the GH3. The GH4 is better for video, but I shoot stills. The GX8 sensor would be nice, but the form factor of the body is a no go for me.

If the GH5 had a new sensor I might be tempted, but until then I love my GH3!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2015
    I also transferred across from a Canon 7d and a decent system of lenses. I initially ran the GH3 alongside the Canon gear but late last year sold off the heavy duty gear to fund a GH4 and three lenses. I shoot mainly boats, flowers and wildlife and tend to grab whichever body currently holds the right lens. I don't miss lumping the 7d/100-400 L series lens around boat festivals. The GH3 is a great body and for stills it's pretty much the same as a GH4. The focus peaking on the GH4 is the biggest advantage for me but there may be some features in the new firmware that are compelling.

I am happy to buy second hand gear and rather than the GH3, you may find a "project" GH4 that has been lightly used. That's what I did. Film makers often buy the GH4, sometimes several of them, and sell them off at the end of the project at a good price.
  6. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I just sold my Olympus e-m5 mk1 but kept my GH3 for a video rig and for small form factor. Now I only own a 12-35 and 14-45mm. I just sold my 25 f/1.4, 14mm f/2.5 even though I absolutely loved the image quality.

I am still waiting for a miraculous sensor as a wish list for the M43 system. The new 20mpx sensor is not a game changer against the 16mpx sensor. At this moment in time I'm willing to wait some new generation M43 for major improvements.

I'm keeping my GH3 but I've now moved onto fuji as a small form factor body for stills. The Fuji XT10 is literally identical in size to the Olympus E-M5.

I still find the Gh3 with 12-35 an incredible versatile system.