1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GH-3 updated opinion

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    This camera is just growing on me, it feels so good in hand, I really love the ergonomics and functionality. The IQ is excellent, great DR in raw, you can recover highlights and shadows when you really think they are lost, good high ISO performance too, I'm smitten!!!
    Will it become a classic?? I think it might, I think it's one of those cameras that might be slow to take off but suddenly everyone will want one.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I want one! But by the time the budget allows Olympus may have announced an OMD successor and then I will want that!
    My new G5 is keeping me plenty happy at the moment, after I get a couple of lenses I want it will be body upgrade time.
    Good to hear positive reports on the GH 3, after some early purchasers mentioned concerns about the quality of the viewfinder.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's certainly possible, but I think price and size will ultimately hold it back. Maybe not, but with so many smaller mirror less cameras I just don't see this happening, except with video folk.

4. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I feel the complete opposite. I found the OMD to be to small and yet I have very small hands. Simple example: in normal shooting position the whole top of my right thumb was above the inner control wheel. Likewise the tiny buttons meant constantly having to change grip to use them. With gloves on it would be impossible. I was in agony the other day for 1/2 hr as I was shooting my X100 out in the cold wind without gloves, not risking that again. Tiny cameras sound great on paper and look cute and all that but I think I have had enough of them, weight is my main concern going forwards.

• Like Like x 1
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Agreed! I think the true benefit of m4/3 is not that we have smaller cameras. It's that we have the CHOICE of smaller of larger cameras that share lenses and other accessories while keeping the system weight down. After all it's not like all Canons are the same size, or Sony's. Nikon is famous for putting the same sensor and af in cameras of different sizes and letting the customer pick the camera that's right for them.

Gordon

• Like Like x 3
  6. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Exactly the point.

The smaller lenses in the range such as the 14 and 17 can easily be put on the viewfinder less m4/3 bodies for a pocketable solution. Really IMHO its the lenses that make the big difference. The new 35-100 is the one which really interests me as it shows just what is possible with this system, compared to even a Canon 70-200 f4 its tiny and a fraction of the weight. Those new "pro" lenses also look great and really nicely balanced on the GH3.

7. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I was out today with my kit (GH3, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100 and 45-175). The GH3 works so well with all these lenses, it's ergonomics are lovely, it's very configurable and easy to use. I really love the focus, I now use the 23 area point mode, you simply touch the screen to limit the focus area to one section of the screen if desired and another touch to reset it, focus is instant, accurate and reliable.
    Today I was using the electronic shutter and had no issues, I was shooting static stuff mainly but also some seals (that weren't moving too fast) and had very few throw away shots.
    The cameras solid feel and built is reassuring and because it feels so good in hand and performs so well it's a pleasure to use and own, yes it's slightly bigger and heavier than I'd like but thats the price of good ergonomics and solid build.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Post a few pics of the seals, Paul.

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Here Here +1
    Well said and right on the nail !
    Regards
    Rob

10. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I'll post pics tomorrow from the GH3, busy tonight.

Paul

11. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Absolutely, you may own the EPL-3 and the GH3 and use whichever suits the moment.
    It's good that there are 2 manufacturers to choose from too, it's a good system.

Paul

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    It really isn't that big. And no other m43 camera offers the ergonomics of the GH3. It won't appeal to everyone, but neither will an E-PM2.

Price, maybe, but it isn't any more expensive than an OM-D plus grip was at launch, and the price will come down over time.