GH-3 all is forgiven :)

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Having just returned from a week photography trip to Iceland I must say the GH-3 proved to be my workhorse camera. I know I've ranted about how I prefer the EM-5 to the GH-3 but this trip the GH-3 was my camera of choice. I took all my lenses and the GH-3 and EM-5, I just found the GH-3 to be so much more configurable than the EM-5. I was using the tripod a lot and doing lots of bracketing and multiple exposures and even without the tripod still changing the camera settings a lot and the GH-3 makes this sooooo easy, the EM-5 is much more of a hassle to reconfigure.
    About 80% of my pics were taken with the GH-3, it just seemed natural to grab it, the EM-5 became the poor relation on this trip.
    Do I still love the EM-5? Hell yeah, it's a great camera and when it's the right camera to use I prefer it to the GH-3 but I've realized the GH-3 is just such a lovely camera to use when using a tripod or making lots of setting changes, to be honest I think the GH-3 must be the most tripod friendly M4/3 camera there is.
    Unusually for me I even used it to shoot video and man it rocks, the video detail and quality just superb.
    I'll be keeping this lovely camera along with the EM-5, the new EM-1 has nothing to tempt me.

2. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Nice to hear your impressions. Hope you can share some of your Iceland shots with us.
  3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Very cool Paul, looking forward to your images of the trip.
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Nice... GH3 is a great workhorse camera IMO. It's not super exciting maybe but it's like a really efficient solid tool when you need one.

Congrats on the Iceland trip too, I am jealous. It seems there is no end of gorgeous shots coming from Iceland and I hope to make it there someday :)
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    My sentiments exactly. And for me, even when not making lots of changes the GH3 is just so perfectly comfortable, it's my camera of choice.
  6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Paul, good to know you gave some lovin' back to the GH3. Yes I agree, it might not be sexy or retro good looking, but it is a no-nonsense camera, especially when you are on the move, the GH3 would respond better in terms of ergonomics, handling, responsiveness and controls.

The more I use the GH3, the more it is a keeper for me.
  7. jfdana

jfdana Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    South Portland, ME
    Have to agree with all the comments about the GH3 being a reliable workhorse. I've been doing lots of outdoor adventures (believe me the bar is a lot lower at 62 than even a few years ago) and the camera just performs without a hitch. Shooting mostly landscape, I've been using full manual and the controls are right at hand for M, A, S, ISO, and burst, and can be set with soft-shell gloves. Hot (92 today in the mountains at Franconia) and cold (extended -5 by the ocean last winter) seem not to cause any problems.

It fits into a Lowepro photosport sling with easy in and out. The rounded shape seems to help, and I can use either the 7-14 or 12-35 on the body, with the other also in the padded compartment.

So, all in all, a wonderfully useful camera. And keep in mind that I'm shooting to print 16X24 images on Moab Entrada 17 x 25 natural 300 which seem to turn out well enough to exhibit and sell from time to time.
  8. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm loving mine too. Besides all the other good points, I am absolutely loving the battery life!
  9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    +1. The battery is the best I used in any :43: to date...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    So true. When I'm commissioned for an assignment its the GH3. I've not experienced a more functional camera for hybrid photography and like others have mentioned the battery life is amazing.
  11. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I'm sorting through my Iceland pics and will post some up in the next day or so.

Yeah the battery life is excellent on the GH3.