GF7's (Lack of) Place in the Lineup

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by tjdean01, Mar 9, 2015.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'm not criticizing the camera. It looks cool and of course has great features. My question is its place in the lineup. It's bigger than the GM1 with no overwhelming improvement except a tilty screen; and if you need that there are better/cheaper options. It's not much of an improvement over the GF6 except that you're saving a little size and weight. Electronic shutter, sure, but still GM1 is a smaller option. The PL7 also looks like a better option. Electronic first curtain, more flipishness to the screen, hot shoe, 3-axis IBIS, and as of now, cheaper.

It's like what do you want, a mini-OMD? Get a PL7. A good, small camera? GM1. A camera where you need a flippy screen and at the same time a flash but want it smaller than the GF6? At least the GF7 has you covered there!

I predict the "GF7 Image Thread" will be relatively short.

2. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    Maybe on this website the GF7's image thread will be but there is definitely a market for it.

I do think that the GM and GF line should be combined. Sony's RX100 Mk 3 with the articulating screen AND EVF would be the right way to go IMHO.

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Cheaper than the GM1, almost as small, selfie-screen. i.e. Casual users. Seems like a market.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm predicting the GF7 will be the camera with the shortest "launch-to-fire sale" lifetime ever. And that's saying something for Panasonic! I'm sure it's very capable, but that's not enough in a crowded market. For me, it's rather ugly too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Its just another short life gimmick gadget.

If you want one wait 6 months and they will be sold in the bargain bins around the world.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Of course, that will be a nice little camera. It's main problem is that nothing makes it stand out in the line-up, and a bargain price would fix that.

7. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I can't believe it, but seemingly this body (and the EPL7) were created to take advantage of the rage over selfie sticks in Asia, and it appears to have worked.

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    ??? Gf6 and Gm1 are or will be discontinued . Gf7 finally has the top sensor breaking the Panasonic tradition of stuffing old less capable sensor in Gf line. its the perfect low end model, analogous to epm2 and much better looking.

9. sherpa-d

sherpa-d New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2015
    Am I the only one who thinks that an tilting screen is useful for taking shots besides selfies? I love the viewfinder on my GX7 and use it a lot but, after having gotten used to the versatility of the tilt screen, it's one feature that I won't be without when buying another camera. The tilting viewfinder I find only marginally useful but it's amazing how much more creativity I feel I have with the tilting screen. Additionally, it's great for taking stealth pictures when you don't want to attract attention by holding a camera up to your face (or in front of you) and pointing it at your subject. The whole tilting/selfie screen makes me thing of Green Eggs and Ham...

And if you can tilt it 180 degrees for a selfie, what's wrong with that? If my GX7 could do that, I'd spend less time re-taking the occasional selfie with my girlfriend or buddies at the top of a mountain peak or some other unique place. Just because a selfie isn't "serious" photography doesn't mean that having a record of a good time with a friends is beneath us as photographers.

I, for one, would be very bummed if tilting/selfie screens went away anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I'm kind of the opposite. I love the tilting EVF, but the tilt screen is a nice feature I rarely use.

But, what I really wanted to say is that selfies can certainly be serious photography. There is a LONG LONG history of selfies as art. Picasso, Rembrandt, Van Gogh... all famous for their selfies. In the realm of photography, Lee Friedlander and Vivian Maier were both prolific selfie shooters. There is a lot of snobbery in photography, but we are actually in the midst of a golden age where something like a billion shots a day are published online, and its not the interchangeable lens shooters who are leading the way. Yes, there are hundreds of millions of bad shots every day, but there are also at least tens of millions of good ones. So take your selfies. Get creative with them, and have fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard

There's a current exhibition dedicated to the self-portrait for those in the UK: http://www.turnercontemporary.org/exhibitions/self
    Highly recommended.

I'm looking forward to getting a tilting screen on a GX7, and I'd certainly have checked out the GF7 if I hadn't already got a GM1. Whilst I can get down to ground level to take flower shots sometimes getting up again is a little harder than it used to be :)

I do think Panasonic have probably got the pricing wrong. I'm sure that if they tried introducing an entry point m43 camera at a lower initial selling point and held it there, rather than the usual high price then rapid discounting they'd attract more buyers into the system

• Like Like x 1
  12. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I know a few people who spend 350-400 easy on a high qual point and shoot with a 2/3 sensor. The GF7 can totally be justified in that respect. Sure it's not a serious enthusiast camera. But buyers of the hundreds of thousand of canon SLRs sold at Costco aren't enthusiesta either. They are soccer moms and dads, and primarily looking for a "real" camera that takes really good photos and offers some creative control.

If logic prevails, the GF7 is a much better camera for this consumer than a canon t5i kit. They'll take many more good photos with this camera. It's up to Panasonic to promote this benefit.

13. Graeme

Graeme New to Mu-43

I for one cant fathom the market for the GF7, perhaps I am a little slow to pick up on the advantages and advantages of it.

The GF range is meant to be a simple easy to use point and shoot, if you want more buy the appropriate GM or GX.
    In saying this I am not knocking the GF range or concept at all....I love my GF5! it has become my constant companion.
    To me its beauty is its point and shoot compact camera style and the GF6 adds to this genre with more compact camera functionality, the evolution to the GF7 has not improved this paradigm and has detracted in other ways loosing some key compact features such as the shutter zoom outer ring but I am not complaining as hopefully with the GF7 release the prices of the GF6 may plummet making my next purchase more affordable......now to find a cheap 45-175 PZ lens to go with the prospective GF6!

Graeme

14. I find the tilting screen on the GF7 to be a more desirable feature than the eye-level viewfinder on the GM5, although I prefer a two piece bottom hinged screen to the single piece top hinged screen found on the GF7. The GM5 is the nicer looking camera however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard

I'm not sure where Panasonic see the GF range - the GF1 allowed quite a lot of manual control, which was reduced in the GF2, and further reduced in the GF3. With the GF5 to some extent, but particularly with the GF6 they seemed to be heading back to allowing more accessible controls. In essence the GF6 is pretty much a GM1 in a cheaper plastic shell rather than the magnesium body. I've not handled the GF7 to see what the body is made of, but functionally it appears to be a GM1 with a tilting screen.

They're all very capable cameras, and the GF6 is certainly a bargain at the price it's dropping to. If you're not desperate for the extra 25mm, you might find the GF6 as a two lens kit including the 45-150 on clearance.

16. Graeme

Graeme New to Mu-43

Yes there are some very good deals available at the moment on the 2 lens kit, here in NZ you can get it for about $699.00 (about 320.00 GBP) and yes the 45-150 lens would be great but I really like the 45-175 PZ lens for is compactness and also it's ability to be controlled compact camera style via the shutter outer ring zoom switch, particularly thinking in video recording.

Panasonic do some weird things as do other manufactures with their camera specialing prices, the body alone here for the GF6 is a little over NZ$1100.00 yet with the 14-42 it costs NZ$549.00 and the 2 lens kit 699.00 absolutely no sense at all to me as I only want the body though I guess if I bought the 2 lens kit and camera I could sell the excess lenses and then buy the one I want and would then essentially get the camera body for free.

I would love to know where Panasonic see the GF range of cameras sitting, to me it is essentially a point and shoot with the capability for full manual control when you get caught short with out your bigger DSLR.
    Were we privy to Panasonic's sales figures we may view it a little differently, from my perspective you see little to nothing said about the GF's on the internet be it user comment or reviewers and if you were to believe what you see from the internet you may be lead to believe that there are few of them out there in the wild.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  17. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    The main problem the GF7 has, is that now the GM1 has been out for 16 months, its price has dropped to almost the same as the GF7 is being introduced at.

However, some people must have a flippy screen, and the shutter on the GM1 have some occasionally odd restrictions, so just maybe the GF7 will find a home.

If people are really that obsessed with high quality selfies that they need a camera like this, then Panasonic should sell it with a pancake prime lens and not that collapsible zoom.

18. joesilver

joesilver Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2012
    I wouldn't exactly say I'm obsessed with high-quality selfies. However, for a few years now I haven't owned a camera with the capability to point the screen forward, and I've missed it.

At various times over the last five years, I've owned one Panasonic and one Olympus camera of different models. For a while it was a GH2 and E-PL1. A while ago I made a simple music video with a friend using the GH2; there was no one behind the camera, so the ability to flip the screen forward came in handy for framing the shot.

Recently my only camera has been the E-M5, which has a screen that tilts but cannot be pointed forward. I was tempted by the GF7, particularly the sexy brown model, so I bought one as a second camera. The "selfie" screen, the superior video capabilities compared to Olympus's offerings, focus peaking, electronic shutter, Wi-Fi, and other recent enhancements that I had not yet experienced were all appealing to me. I haven't yet been out and about with my GF7; I'm waiting for a glass screen protector that I ordered for it to arrive first. I'm anticipating having a lot of fun with it though. The small size is something new for me, and I'm guessing that larger lenses might be a challenge with this camera.

Here's my GF7 with a Konica Hexanon f/1.8 lens.

• Like Like x 3
  19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's a very nice looking color on that camera.

20. ManofKent

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Yes it looks more like how I expected my very orange GM1 to look like when I ordered it.