1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF6 Full Review Leaked

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by klee, Apr 4, 2013.

1. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Just an FYI, that's ripped off from TechRadar--they published the review earlier today (presumably by mistake) and then took it down.

2. wlsinwi

wlsinwi Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Well it's their fault if they posted it early, now the cat's out of the bag even though they have asked 43rumors to take down any pics they grabbed. Google cache is your friend. B^) Usually the favored reviewers are allowed to post reviews early so it will go live again in a day or so.
    I've been chomping on the bit all week to find out what's with the GF6 so at least now I can relax.
    It's a pretty big upgrade compared to the GF3-GF5 progression. The only thing I really don't like is the mode dial which sticks up too much and will catch on things. My experience with them is they were always turning by accident and ruining my shots if I did not check it.
    It has a better sensor (from the GX1) and the new Venus engine. WIFI and NFC which is cool. Doesn't appear to have GPS which is OK as I hear that tends to drain the battery too much.
    It has a zoom control ring on the shutter button if you are using the power zoom lens. No word if that can be set to control focus or ISO on a non zoom lens. I just might buy it in the Fall when there may be some deals on it.

3. Furq

Furq New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2011
    That is such a poorly written 'review' by TechRadar - grammatically (eg sentences beginning with 'because') and factually.

"The Panasonic GF6 will come bundled with a new 14-42mm optic, which is smaller than the old manual 14-42mm lens that used to come packaged with G series cameras. It keeps the overall size of the camera down, but if you've got extra money to spare, we'd suggest you think about investing in the X power zoom lens, to make this closer to being a pocketable device."

What?

Also, it's not a "hands-on review" (leaving aside that any review would have to be "hands-on"!), it's merely a "first look". And pretty lame one, at that.

"...we've only had a limited amount of time with the GF6..."
    "...we'll be testing further when we have a full production sample..."
    And no talk of IQ. Funny that!

And, to top it all off, of course, they posted the review early and broke the embargo.

My verdict: amateur coverage.

4. abucci

abucci Mu-43 Rookie

The new 14-42 is much better than any previous kit lens from panasonic.

5. Furq

Furq New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah, in fairness, I misread it. Writer is talking about three lenses in one sentence. Confusing.

6. suntoryjim

suntoryjim Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    This leak is likened to the prototype iPhone 4 that was left on a bar stool. Wonder if Panasonic will release a public statement denying the existence of the 6.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Looks kind of chunky for a GF, almost Samsung-ish. I guess it's all that wifi and nfc techno wizardry. I like the flip screen though. Let's see how high the price starts and how quickly it falls.

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    By the looks of it, it's like a cross-breed between the GF3 and EPL3...

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sucks you can't use the LVF2.

10. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Not hot shoe? not interesting.

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

12. Blastop

Blastop Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2011
    I can say one thing for this... It increases my anticipation of the G6 and GX2 significantly. The GF6 looks like it'll be a great camera - for somebody else, with different goals. I could give up flash, even a hotshoe, but I can't imagine not having a viewfinder available.

13. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Depending on the size, I may pick this up in a year or so when prices for body only goes down to under $275, the articulating display and better high ISO alone could be worth it to me over my current GF3. That is if it's smaller and less weight than the GX1.

14. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Any evidence? From what I've seen so far it should be close to the old 14-45mm, but a little softer at the edges. I've seen nothing about its colour/contrast either (a very strong area for the 14-45mm).

15. plutoniumhunter

plutoniumhunter Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Wow. For a second I thought it was a K-01 body.

16. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Seems similar to EPL5 with that flip up screen.

Hope there'll be a comparison between the two.

17. wlsinwi

wlsinwi Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    It seems that they tried to throw everything into it and hope that works.
    I'm seeing some really questionable design choices on this.
    The mode dial is top on the list of WTF? This is an entry level camera and that group just does not want a confusing mode dial stuck like a big wart on the top. For example:
    Why is there a mode setting for Movie when there is a button for that?? which do I use??
    Why is there a mode setting for Program when there is a button for that?? which do I use??
    Why would you put PASM settings on the dial for a camera for entry level users? which do I use??

Also why is there a zoom lever on the top when the standard lens is manual zoom??? What good is it then?

I just find this camera a design mess. Yes technically it is a great upgrade but simplicity and speed of use for snapshot users is lost.

This would have been a great upgrade if they just hadn't gone too far with that mode dial. As it is this dog won't hunt.

18. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Really? I'll be the first one to not put a lot of merit in calculated MTF curves on a manufacturer's web site, but looking at the Panasonic data I don't see how to reach that conclusion.

Certainly it looks a bit nicer than the older 14-42, but compared to the 14-45 it is less clear. The 14-42II is a bit worse at wide angle compared to the 14-45 and at the telephoto end the 14-42II has slightly better extreme corners at the expense of performance just slightly off center.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see some sample images.

Have you seen an early review or something I missed? I am curious about this lens so please share if you know of one!

EDIT: I found such a review myself:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-42mm-f-3-5-5-6-ii-lens-review-21563

19. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    Test data seems to show it to be a tad short of resolution vs. the 14-45. Big improvement over old 14-42, though. And it's about a half-inch shorter than the 14-45 and almost as good -- so a good tradeoff.