1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF6 - electronic shutter?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Apr 14, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I assumed the new GF6 had an electronic shutter, but now that I've looked at the spec. sheets and read several reviews, I've not seen any mention of it. Does anybody know definitively one way or the other? Thanks!

2. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I had the same question. But, based on many of the same info you also saw, I have to take guess and say no, to keep the difference greater once the GX2 comes out.

3. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yeah, I think you're right - at this point no hard info on an electronic shutter. Disappointing really as that's one feature that would improve the quality of a great many images.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    How would an electronic shutter improve image quality at all?

5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Shutter-induced shake. With some lenses it's very obvious (14-42X) but even with lenses that don't have a bad reputation for shutter-shake, the tests I've seen show you often gain sharpness switching off the mechanical shutter (e.g. with the 12-50 and the 75-300).

6. cgigate

cgigate New to Mu-43

May 2, 2013
    No, I tried to use " electronic shutter" on my G5, picture quality became worst (low light condition). i thought i would reduce "hand shake" to improve quality, bot it does not do anything good!

7. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wasn't referring to image blur caused by the user, but by the shutter mechanism itself. Electronic shutter certainly has disadvantages too - it can't be used with moving subjects and at least the Panasonic implementation in the G5 was limited to ISO 1600. But it is a valuable tool.