1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF5 officially announced

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by scotttnz, Apr 5, 2012.

1. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Preview over at dpreview.

Interestingly "The LUMIX GF5 features a newly developed 12.1-megapixel Live MOS sensor"

Will be interesting to see how it performs!

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It performs the same.

Seriously, Panasonic and Olympus could not be bigger, more blatant liars when it comes to sensor performance. I'm sure they made all kinds of changes at an engineering level, and once DXO runs the numbers we'll see a third of a stop on high ISO and maybe vaguely better AF. Yup, all new. Suuuure.

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Priced about a $100 less than the GX1 kits, but GX1 has the 16 mp sensor. Hmmm ...

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    no big change from GF3 except for stereo mic and faster processor.

I'm looking forward to the "new sensor" but I can't expect too much.

still no 1080p video shooting, GF5 does exactly what GF3 does with a G3-like grip which I happen to hate

5. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Nice cute little camera.
    But I prefer the looks of GX1.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What are they lying about when they say it's all new? They're not saying it will suddenly make all the known laws of photography obsolete. They're just saying it's all new... maybe the misinterpretation comes from the ones who think that something "new" must be earth shatteringly better? Each new sensor is generally an improvement, and that's what I expect. I don't remember being promised that the earth will move. "Blantant liars" is a strong accusation.

Now, I know I may indulge in a bit of hyperbole myself sometimes. For instance, I may rave about the great improvement in sharpness from an E-3 to an E-5 or an E-P2 to an E-PL2... When you step back and look at the big picture, the difference is really not that profound - but it's enough of a difference that with my strict standards it makes "enough" difference for me to forsake the older models in preference of the new. That doesn't mean that I believe an E-P2 is no longer capable of taking quality photographs, or that all the photos I took back in the day with my E-3 should now be trashed in the garbage because they're so inferior to today's photos. No, technology does not change that much or that fast.

The capabilities and basic laws of photography have only gradually changed over the years. You can easily tell the difference between photos taken in this day and age with photos taken 50 years ago, but you can barely tell the difference in photos taken 10 or 20 years ago. So just what drastic change do you expect to happen between last year and today?

• Like Like x 1