1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

GF3X and E-PM1 kit size

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dhazeghi, Jan 29, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've had the E-PM1 for several months now. After looking around for a bit, I picked up a GF3 kit from Amazon in order to get ahold of the 14-42X lens.

Even though on paper the differences don't seem too significant, in practice the difference in size is quite significant. On the whole, I actually prefer the GF3 body to the E-PM1 in terms of handling. It has a nice grip, a well-proportioned LCD and it is actually a little bit thinner than E-PM1, while looking far less ungainly (it doesn't have the protruding mount of the E-PM1).

The main difference for me is that the GF3/14-42X will fit comfortable in a coat pocket, whereas the E-PM/14-42IIR will not. I will probably end up selling the GF3 and using the 14-42X on the E-PM1, but for people who don't use Olympus lenses or need EVFs, the GF3X is a very compelling package. Panasonic has definitely one-upped Olympus in the collapsing lens genre.

i-hHQmHs8-L.
    NIKON D700    ---    50mm    f/2.8    1/80s    ISO 400

i-RWGv5qJ-L.
    NIKON D700    ---    50mm    f/2.8    1/60s    ISO 400

DH

P.S. In the second image, the items (L to R) are: Panny GF3, Oly E-PM1, Oly 12-60 + adapter, Oly 14-42IIR, Oly 45/1.8, Panny 14-42X and Panny 20/1.7.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.