1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GF3 - White or Red + some questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by je83, Apr 16, 2013.

1. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Hey guys I have a chance to purchase a new gf3 twin lens kit for cheap, but the only colors available are white and red. Neither is my first choice in color so I'd like some opinions on which color is "better". Also, for street photography, which do you think is less distracting to potential subjects? I'm thinking the white one catches the eye much more than the red one...

Another thing, I have spent some time with both the gf3 and 2 before but not enough to know about details like packaging, which is what I'd like to ask about. One of them (red) is the last unit at the store and the other one is being sold at a second hand camera store as new. It was purchased at another, very reputable store a few months ago, with the receipt while they were getting rid of all their old stock.

I did a check of both units, from what I can tell there are no scratches or any signs of damage from the outside. Also both places that sell them would not let me insert the battery and try it out unless I was sure I would buy it, which I guess is a good sign that they haven't let people like myself mess around with these units.

Anyway, I checked to make sure the serial on the body matched the box and on the red one, the receipt from the shop it was purchased from, which it did. I'd like to know if the lenses also have serial numbers which are on the box or other documentation that comes with it. I seem to remember from buying some olympus kits before that the body and each lens had a serial number on the box stickers, but I don't know if it's the same for the panasonic kits.

EDIT:

Are there any other things I can do to check for signs of damage or any issues?

2. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I was deliberating on the same dilemma a month ago -the white certainly looks much classier with matching silver lenses (imho). But the problem is that GF3 body is painted metal (not white/red plastic), so any scratch would immediately become apparent. Thats why I went with black - its very straight forward to touch up with black permanent marker pen.

3. wlsinwi

wlsinwi Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    The white is classier and less distracting. The red is a bit tacky. The real question is why bother with the GF3 when you can get great discounts on the GF5 which is much better. Unless you are getting the body free and just buying the lenses don't bother with it. Also even with the dual lens kit, if one of those lenses is the old standard 14-42 well I'd pass on that too. The old larger style manual zoom is being unloaded on ebay for less than $100 because the new one or even the PZ's are so much better.

4. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    You're doing a lot more due diligence on your camera than I did! But a good return policy is your best bet. Just be sure to try out the camera a lot during the return period.

The GF3 sells pretty cheap these days, it comes down to the lenses you're buying. I'd cheap the deals forum to make sure your "deal" is really a deal.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just picked up a GF3 as a cheap backup. I actually like it quite a bit. I think the image processing is a step-up over the GF2 and the LCD is way better than the 16:9 junk that Olympus has been using. I'm thinking of picking up another one since they're so cheap just to have a body on every lens! :wink:

6. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Thanks for your quick replies and input guys.

It's currently around 380USD for a twin lens kit which is good value. It's a hundred more for a GF5 with the same kit right now, which is a bit high for what I need it for. Since I'm in no particular rush, i guess I could wait around for prices to drop even further but by then I'd probably be looking at the same problems with color availability.

@ wlsinwi - I do agree the red is a bit tacky in the pics but I've seen it in real life it's not so bad, over time the white shows more wear and fading which is what I'm concerned about. I've even seen some turn yellowish in some parts. One other thing I forgot to mention is that I usually wear dark clothing, so a white camera might stick out a bit more in front of a black shirt when held at chest level which is usually how I shoot with anything without a viewfinder.

@borsch - I was thinking the same thing about the white camera with silver lenses like Olympus do. I did also notice the other colors were metallic but the white seemed painted on with a thick lacquer. Classy but scratches easy indeed, especially as something intended as a backup.

Did any of you get the twin lens kit? Or even with the single lens kit for any Panasonic 4/3 camera, I'd like to know if the lenses serial numbers are on the box or documentation. I just need to be sure and check everything because after sales service here is pretty poor.

One more thing I was thinking about - A used gf3 goes for about 270usd. Used pancake and standard zooms go for about 100-150 each. Let's say 100 each plus 230 for a body would go 430usd. Why would a second hand shop sell the kit in a new box for 380 when they could take them out and sell them for more individually?

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I think white cameras look nice. This is a G3 but you get the idea. Red is too flashy.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/7616924956/" title="Panasonic Lumix G3 by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 7616924956_82db736b1b_c. "800" height="600" alt="Panasonic Lumix G3"></a>

Anyways you can get a GF5 body for only $180 bucks on ebay. Or GX1 body around $250.

8. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    I think your USD prices are a bit off for the US market. Are you in the US?

9. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Those are the prices they sell for here in HK, I've converted them to USD in an attempt to make it less confusing. . Are they consistent with what you pay for your gear in your area?

10. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Mmm, I thought Hong Kong was Mecca for shopping/prices... :) Used GF3 in mint condition can easily be bought for $160 off ebay here in the UK, GF5 would be around $200.

11. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG

Yeah, my conversion rates may have been a bit off. It's actually 1300hkd for a used body which is actually around 170usd, not 270 like I had originally stated. Body with a 14mm goes for around 1800hkd which is around 231usd.

12. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Ok, that is more like Hong Kong we know and love :) $230 for GF3+14mm sounds good.

13. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I did go back the the 2nd hand store with the "new" GF3. There was another guy there and when I asked him about it, he gave me a higher price and said there was no warranty apart from the 7 day shop warranty. The guy barely looked up from his cup noodles when talking to me and seemed annoyed when I asked him a second time about the warranty. Conflicting info from different staff members doesn't give me too much confidence in their services. I'll probably give these guys a pass and keep looking.

I'm still looking to find any stores out there clearing their stock. I'd prefer to pay a bit more for a stock clearance even if it's an older model, rather than getting a used one. A lot of the 2nd hand stores here are quite dodgy and many rely on the fact that there are lots of tourists who don't have a lot of time to return or make complaints if there is something wrong with their purchase. Not being a local and often being mistaken for a tourist, I'm going to stay away from those stores for now. I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there, I just don't want to deal with the hassle if I end up with a lemon.

I would consider a parralel import though, I found a shop selling the gf5 twin lens kit for around 435usd. No warranty but if it's new it may be worth the risk. I just have to do a bit more research on the gf6 release in hk so I can find out when the bigger chains will start lowering their prices.

14. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    With the retailers clearing stock, there are a lot of GF3s to be had now. On FM and in this forum, a lot of photographers are selling (getting ready for the GF6?). You might even be able to find a HK seller if you look around.

I think the last deal price I saw on Amazon was $173 for an open box kit including the 14-42.

15. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I've visited over a dozen stores looking for one. The two stores i found that carry the gf3 new with the twin lens kit only have them in pink.

I was able to find one branch of a local chain shortly after my last post, that still has a 14mm kit in red for about 320 usd. Another chain still has it in black but at 386usd. So i guess I have to choose between a color that isn't ideal or paying a bit more for one that is.
    Another option would be to go grey market and get a gf5 for 440 usd, the price difference is about what it would cost to add a 14-42 to the gf3 kit anyway, so I'd end up spending around the same amount, but it would be a grey market product...

Btw I'd like additional opinions on the colors, I know you guys think the red is a bit more distracting for street photography, what do you think about the color in general for this particular camera. I was looking at it earlier and although I quite like it, it did seem kind of feminine. Does it seem like that to anyone else or is it just me?

[​IMG]"500" height="500" alt="ip 20130219 (3) panasonic gf3 red"></a>[/IMG]

The color is nice, I like the shade of red but it does seem to have a pinkish tone.

16. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    I also think it is feminine/pink-ish. Never saw it in the flesh though, so it could be just the way it looks in photos.

17. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    My guess is the photos. I have seen some of the Panasonic GF's in red, and it is truer to a cherry/fire-engine red than a pink. About halfway between the photo, and the B&H banner below.

18. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I've seen one other G model in red, the shade seems the same. I guess what makes it more feminine looking are the curves and the overall rounded styling of the Gf3

19. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Guys thanks for all your input. I found a place with one white model with 14mm left so I took it. The same chain but different branch from where I found the red one had it cheaper. 280usd for a new camera with a 16gb card and spare battery, tripod and cleaning kit doesn't too bad.

I love the camera, I tested it for issues with the image, lcd, dead pixels, shutter speed accuracy etc... everything seems good. Compared to my past experience with my epl-3 I definitely like the handling better as well as the IQ.

Anyway, I got home and found something with the external of the camera that I didn't notice before. The camera body is white and there is a panel that goes across both sides and the top of the camera that is grey. There are three or four separate bits on the side, top of the camera and on top of the flash made to look like one piece. On one of the sides where the side and top panel connect, there seems to be a slight misalignment. I've tried forcing it back but it's seems to be set that way. It seems just cosmetic, maybe just poor quality control, or it could also mean something else. The camera seems fine overall but I've only had an afternoon to shoot with it, 255 shots, limited by the new batteries not holding a full charge.

Anyway, I'd like additional opinions on this:

IMG_1790s_zpsd3545634.

This and the fact that it was the last camera in stock may mean it's had a previous owner who returned it, or maybe just a qc thing...

EDIT: The pic makes the overlap/misalignment a bit smaller than it actually is.

20. Borsch

Borsch Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Just take it to another shop that sells GF3s (any colour) and compare. Does look like QC issue, but only one way to find out ;) Since its new, it should have warranty, so you may even send a query to Panasonic...

Completly agree with you about Panny usability/ergonomics - it is very-very good indeed.