GF3 vs GF5 users, what's your take?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by matz03, Nov 26, 2012.

1. matz03

matz03 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Hey guys,

anyone out there with experience with both models in terms of IQ, AF, higher ISO's, jpg colors? Are there really noticeable differences? Is it worth to go for the newer GF5 instead? i.e. just a better screen, grip and interface?

I've become interested in the GF3 because of the price, used body only is around $150 and I've been looking for a small cam to have with me while mountain biking, I'm planning to use it with my capture clip so the cam will always be out strapped to my camelbak. The goal is for no more digging in my bag to pullout the camera. I already own a 14-42mm kit lens and a 14mm pancake lens which aren't getting any use with my GH2 so the lens compatibility is a major bonus.

the goal is cheap here because I'm sure I'll take a spill at some point and I wouldn't be sacrificing much if that happened.

2. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well from my search and understand, at higher ISO the GF5 is suppose to be a little better, while the GF3 is suppose to have a slightly cleaner noise at lower ISO. JPEG color output on the GF5 is also suppose to be improved, but I haven't looked much in that much. Not sure if grips will matter much, but the GF5 has the advantage there, as is build on the buttons, at least it did when I tried both out in store. As for AF both seemed pretty similar to me with the 14mm. Also to note the GF5 also has more filters(v GF3) and the updated touch screen interface/features of the GX1.

That said as a companion camera(to my G2) I personally went for the GF3 as I found a great deal with the 14mm pancake kit. If both were the same price with the 14mm, I probably would have gone with the GF5 for its better grip, and buttone.