1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GF3 to GF5 for $50

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by je83, Jun 28, 2013.

1. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I normally wouldn't consider this upgrade, but I got the Gf-3 for 270usd with the 14 2.5mm. There's a chance I may be trading bodies with someone for an additional 50USD.

Still not sure if it's worth it I'm happy with the GF-3 but I might go ahead since I will be able to choose the black GF-5 which is a little less prone to showing scratches and wear compared to my current white GF-3. Also, I like the additional FN button. The better screen and faster AF don't really concern me.

Some things I'd like to know from anyone who's made the switch or has spent time with both. First, IQ - I remember reading some threads comparing the two before the GF-5 came out people were saying the 5 would have improved low light/high iso performance due to the sensor tweaks but also suffer from softer images in lower iso ranges. I don't know if anyone's been able to compare them by now and provide real results but I can't seem to find any info beyond those first few threads with purely speculative info.

Second, I've played around with the GF-5 menu and it seems sluggish compared to the 3. I've tried it on at least two units, never did a direct comparison but that's how it felt.

Finally, ergonomics - I know it's a bit bulkier, I don't like the feel of the hand grip so I'd like to know if it can be removed.

Any input on these and anything else someone looking to "upgrade" might like to know would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    That's a terrible upgrade price. You could probably try to sell the GF3 body for $125-150 and pickup a GX1 body for $200 and have a much better camera.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    First off, I think the only real reason to go with a gf-series camera is for the extreme portability. If you are trading off for one with more bulk, even a little, then you're lessening the unique value of the camera you carry.

The gf5 wasn't generally seen as a very major upgrade from the gf3. If I were going to spend $50, I'd probably spend it on the Olympus body cap lens instead, just for the fun of it.

And while the gx1 is undoubtedly better in certain areas, my camera's feelings got hurt when it was called a "much better camera." ;)

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    GF3 bodies are currently barely going for $100 brand new - as there are a glut of them out there right now - too many people bought the kits with the 14mm lenses just to get the lens (myself included).

But I would agree that the GX1 is a better upgrade than the GF5 is (but it would probably cost someone around $100 to make that upgrade now)

5. hsw21

hsw21 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    A lot of people bought GF3 just to take the 14mm lens ?
    Is that lens kinda very popular ? so the availability is kinda hard ?
    (Im not-so-familiar with micro 4/3 world, even though I have some m4/3 camera, bought them for their super good-looking looks) :)

6. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    The 14mm is a great prime for the price. It retails for $350 or so if I recall. The GF3 + 14mm deals were about $300 so you get a body + lens. Most just sold the body to keep the lens.

The GF is small but not much smaller than the GX IMO. GF5 is decent but you would notice virtually little to no difference in IQ.

7. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I would say the upgrade is worth it if you're going after that specific form factor. I've owned both, and even though I also found the GF5 menu somewhat sluggish, I found that the crisper LCD was worth a couple extra bucks for a better shooting experience.

The focus was also a bit quicker. It's not noticeable with the speedier lenses, but you definitely notice the difference with the 20mm. I also enjoyed shooting and editing video in with a much friendlier mp4 format. Image quality is nearly the same between the two models, so there's really not much to debate there. But if you think the extra bells and whistles are worth $50, then I say go for it.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Actually, the most recent GF3 + 14mm deals were at about $250 1-2 months ago, and a couple of weeks ago, Samys blew out their stock for $199 including shipping and they ate the sales tax. Considering that the lens lists for $300+, and even the ebay prices for the lens split out of kits were at $180, they were basically giving away the GF3 bodies, or even wrapping an Andrew Jackson around them as they sent them out the door.

9. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Thanks guys. I'm perfectly happy with the GF series. I love the portability of it and the menu system isn't so bad that I would need a body with external controls, for the type of photography I do with this camera touchscreen menu's are good enough. I considered the GX1 at one point but it's heavier and bulkier size would not make a good portable kit especially when I plan on setting up a lightweight body with the 14-140.

So I wasn't imagining things after all? The GF-5 menu's are really sluggish and laggy compared to the GF-3? Do you know if there's a particular reason for this or if there's a fix in any of the fw updates?

Did you happen to notice the GF-3's tendency to underexpose shots, especially indoors. It's manageable but it's a pain to always be checking if shots are underexposed or not, hopefully it's not the same with the 5.