GF3 settings questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by je83, May 17, 2013.

1. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    I'm new(ish) to the 4/3 format and to the panasonic interface. I usually can figure things out on my own with some time but there are a few on my gf-3 I can't seem to sort out since buying it three weeks ago.

First, regarding drive modes, I can manually choose between single, bracketing and timer. Is there a way I can use both countdown timer and bracketing together?

Second, as far as custom function go, I've been able to use them in the PASM modes but it seems that as soon as I switch from one mode to another, the custom function turns off and I have to manually go into the menu again to activate it. Is this normal or is there a way I can keep the custom settings on while switching from one shooting mode to another?

There was another question I had but I seem to have forgotten it for now....

2. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Anyone? Any input would be helpful, I'd also like to know if it's the same on other Panasonic bodies as well...

3. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    Are you shooting in raw or jpeg?

Jpeg gives you options that get greyed out in raw.

4. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG

I'm asking about jpegs since i mostly shoot that format. I did try raw for a bit initially but didn't notice, thanks for pointing that out, I probably would have thought it was some sort of error or issue if I had encountered it without your input.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Those are good questions, I may get to play with my gf3 after work today, and if I can figure any of it out I'll let you know!

6. je83

je83 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2013
    HKG
    Thanks for the renewed interest in my post, I still haven't been able to figure either one out, although I haven't been playing with the controls as much.

One other thing I've noticed with this camera, paired with the 14 2.5 (my only lens so far), I've noticed that in P mode, the metering always chooses the widest open aperture and balances it out with really high shutter speeds regardless of the scenario or ISO setting. Indoors it's obviously a good thing but in outdoors, extremely bright light it shoots mostly f2.5-2.8 with shutter speeds of around 1/1000-1/4000s. I know some camera's do this to avoid slower shutter speeds and thus avoid camera shake or blurriness but I don't think I've ever had it go over F2.8 or F3.5 in this mode. I ocasionally use IA mode and sometimes it chooses the infinity scene mode with the mountains and stuff, and even then it stays between F3.5-5.6. balancing it out with higher shutter speeds.

Not sure if that's an actual issue though, just something I've observed and would like to know from other GF-3 users if it's the same on their units.

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    P mode is a bit of a weird one. What it does, of course, is let you cycle through a bunch of presets of both shutter speed and aperture, but the only setting you can really fiddle with is exposure compensation (probably ISO too, actually). It will default to the fastest shutter typically, to avoid blurry photos, but you have to cycle through to get better presets, which makes it a bad choice for tripod work, or handheld shots where other factors are the priority. What I would check is your ISO and exposure comp, if the ex comp is dialed all the way up then you'd get a wide aperture in broad daylight, resulting in an overexposed image.

I personally hate P mode... Once I learned how aperture affected my photos I went straight to A mode and haven't looked back. Using the programmable button for ISO, I can make quick adjustments to aperture, ISO and ex comp, and get just the results I want.

8. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    answer to the first question is NO

and in addition to that to use bracketing you have to press and hold the shutter all the way