1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF3 over the E-pl3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jan 14, 2012.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I can't get over how stupid it is that olympus put on a 16:9 screen on the e-pl3. My other option is the GF-3 but with the lack of hotshoe (accessory port), IBIS, mode dial and the fact that I hate touchscreens I don't know if I should go for it or not. It does have a properly proportioned 4:3 screen and good IQ.

WHat other reason are there for me getting it over the E-pl3?

Edit to add:

16:9 screen on the Olympus means a 2.4'' screen when converted to 4:3. I like the 4:3 screen on the pana but not much else...

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    How about the E-PL2? It has a nice big screen.

3. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    The touch screen on the GF3 can be switched off and all controls can be accessed from the mode dial, however if the hot shoe is an important feature for your style of photography then maybe its worth a look at the G3

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

go for EL2 over GF3

5. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I meant to include in my original post that the E-pl2 isn't an option for me because of the red spot issue. Most of the shots I take are exactly the type that cause it.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Given that the GF3 seems to be built using all of the features you say you don't want the I'd say be inclined to say that maybe the GF3 isn't for you. The GF2 might be a better option. It uses the same sensor as the GF3, has a hot shoe, can accept an EVF and is still pretty small. It even has a thumbwheel.

I got an E-PM1 for the holidays and I solved it by buying a VF2. Of course the E-PM1 was a gift so it didn't have the same cost as buying the camera AND the VF2. It sure made a difference though.

7. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    +1 on the GF2, looking at all the specs over the last few weeks I couldnt believe how they have dummed down the GF3, until I realised there was a GX1 on the way (Australia is so slow with releases in the retail outlets). The GF3 makes more sense when the GX1 is sat next to it.

I had the GF2 and GF3 next to each other and played with both for 20 mins, the small size of the GF3 with a zoom on it is uncomfortable, as is the EPM1, also I seem to recall the GF3 was made in China, the GF2 is still a Japanese made product. Fit and finish of the pana bodies is better than the EPL3 or EPM1 I handled.

The G3 is also China made, had one alongside the others, its sort of nice to hold, a little cumbersome with the VF sticking out the back so much, but I can see the attraction with the extra features of screen mobility and VF as well as the new sensor etc.

One thing I noted was Pana's China build quality is excellent, fit and finish is first rate, the G3 felt solid as a rock, so does the GF3, QC in the factory must be high.