GF3 or E-PL3

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Kiwi Paul, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I was pretty set on getting an E-PL3 to supplement my G3 but then noticed a good deal on the GF3 with the 14mm lens.

The E-PL3 I can get for £370 body only but the GF3 is £320 body only OR £425 inc the 14mm lens which means I'm getting the lens for £105 it normally sells for around £280.
    I wasn't really considering getting the 14mm but it and the 20mm which I have would make a great prime lens combo to use with the GF3.

The E-PL3 has the tilting screen, 12800 ISO, IBIS and a hot shoe for flash or EVF but no touch screen.

The GF3 has touch screen, possibly a bit more compact and is a bargain with the 14mm.

Any opinions?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that the GF-3 has NO hotshoe. That means it can't use a normal external flash, nor can it use the LVF viewfinder. Instead, it just has a little pop-up flash.

The E-PL2 on the other hand, has both a hotshoe and AC-2 accessory port. That means you can mount any type of external flash or flash trigger (ie, like Radio or PC Sync), you can mount the high resolution VF-2 or VF-3 viewfinders (much better than the Panasonic LVF), and you can also mount the EMA-1 mic adapter to plug in 3.5mm stereo mics (not an option with either the GF3 or G3). The little hotshoe flash for the E-PL3 also works as a Remote Flash Commander to trigger wireless R-series flashes.

Since you already have the Lumix 20mm f/1.7, I wouldn't worry about the 14mm pancake. You could sell the kit lens off the E-PL3 and get some of your money back. ;) I just saw one of them sell off this forum a couple days ago.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I picked up a 14mm to serve as a pancake on my wife's E-PL3 and I really like the lens. It is a little thing, but delivers sharp results and the AF is fast and quiet. You already have the 9-18mm to cover the wide angle and the 20mm to serve as pancake (a bit fatter pancake than the 14), so maybe the 14mm won't be as helpful for you.

IMO, the E-PL3 is a better camera for similar cost.... I would definitely go for the Oly. If you were able to get a screaming deal on the GF2, though, that would be more interesting (think they went a bit backwards on the 3).
  4. davvy

davvy New to Mu-43

Mar 4, 2011
    Hi Paul,sorry for jumping in but I have a GF3 body in the classifieds and if you want a 20mm I could do a deal with that as well,
    the camera is 1 month old and the lens 6 months old bought separately,both with warranties.
  5. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Hmmm maybe your right, GF2 body for GBP170 or with 14mm for 299.

Whats the GF2 like, performance and IQ wise?

6. Kiwi Paul

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Thanks for the comments, I think I will go for the E-PL3, the GF2 looked tempting at the price but the E-PL3 is a wee bit smaller and just a better spec camera all round. The GF3 is certainly the right size but I think the E-PL3's extra feature count makes it a better buy.

I'll not really miss not having the 14mm lens either.

7. KhMeR

KhMeR New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2011
    Is it worth?

E-PL3 cost about $200 to $300 more than GF2 or GF3. Is it worth to get PL3? I am in the market looking or M43 and I have couple cameras in my mind, GF2, PL2 and PM1.