1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF3 not meeting expectations...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jtm305, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Jtm305

Jtm305 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2012
    Hi All,
    I have a gf3 as a carry around and a g3 for the kids, pets, etc. I really didn't expect there to be a huge difference in image quality, but I have not been really pleased with the gf3 images. Today I compared them, same shot, same lens on a tripod and there was a marked difference. So, my question is will I be happier with the gx1 as far as image quality goes...or is the gf3 more capable than I am experiencing?

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    What expectations did you have for it? And what were the differences you speak of?

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Sort of hard to say without seeing the samples. Yes, the GX1 will be closer to the G3 (in some respects - JPEGs - it's even better). But whether the differences between the GF3 and G3 are due to the camera or the settings depends on what those differences are!

DH

4. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    Well you are talking the difference of a 16mp sensor and a 12mp one. The difference right there surely could be noticeable. I find my GF3 as a capable camera, not great, but no POS either. I look at the GF3 as one really sweet P&S that let's me switch lenses. :)

Of course, YMMV.

5. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Maybe show us some shots that you're not happy with and why?

6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The G3 should out perform the GF3!

7. Jtm305

Jtm305 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2012
    The biggest disappointment is the lack of sharpness to the gf3 images. I guess I was not expecting as discernible difference as there is. I do realize the sensor size will make a difference, however. My test today had all settings set identically, AFAIK, and there was a marked difference in quality. G3 came out sharp while the gf3 came out a bit dull with less accurate white balance. Granted they were taken indoors, so maybe an outdoor test in better light is in order. I will try to get some images up that represent what I am trying to explain. New to this so I may not be explaining in an appropriate way

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Perhaps you mean resolution rather than sharpness? I always associate sharpness as a lens quality.

Anyways samples would be helpful.

9. jolieteddie

jolieteddie Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2012
    For what I paid for my GF3 and using the kit lens + 55-200 zoom, I find that it produces some very, very nice photos. It has its limitations, but I have taken some great photos with it and the form factor--size and weight--make it a wonderful camera to carry around. I suspect that if I spent more $$$ on better glass that would improve its performance, but I also don't think that I've totally explored the camera's potential. I bought an adapter for using my Nikon lenses, especially a 60mm Nikkor micro for some macro work. We'll see how it performs then.

10. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I am using a GF3+ 20 1.7 (often at f2), and I found images to be reasonably sharp at 100%. My only disappointment with this setup is the 'not so fast' focusing speed, and sometimes missed focus at night.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was happy with the GF3 image quality. I got lots of photos with it where - as far as I am concerned - the files were great. That said, the G3 and GX1 use a newer sensor than the one in the GF3, so if you're happy with the G3 files and not so much the GF3 files, you'll likely be happy with a switch from GF3 to GX1.

• Like Like x 1
  12. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Same here, i can get some decent shots at night maybe good but never great. During the day i can pull of some awesome shots even at dusk i can get some awesome shots. Never use a tripod and maybe that would help.

But as far as image qualiy goes. i compare to my sisters Canon Rebel and for what she has got to carry around, i am more than pleased with my shots and keep telling her she needs to switch over.

13. Jtm305

Jtm305 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. An earlier post referenced resolution and that may be what I mean rather than sharpness. I have the 20 1.7 and the 14 2.5 and we know those are quality lenses. I think a contributing factor may be indoor light not so great. I am planning to shoot some outdoors in good light to give me a better idea. Maybe I am being too critical. Bottom line is I like the form factor and hate to give that up.

14. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Do you have [Picture size] in the menu set to L and [Quality] to fine?