GF3 not meeting expectations...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jtm305, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Jtm305

Jtm305 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2012
    Hi All,
    I have a gf3 as a carry around and a g3 for the kids, pets, etc. I really didn't expect there to be a huge difference in image quality, but I have not been really pleased with the gf3 images. Today I compared them, same shot, same lens on a tripod and there was a marked difference. So, my question is will I be happier with the gx1 as far as image quality goes...or is the gf3 more capable than I am experiencing?
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    What expectations did you have for it? And what were the differences you speak of?
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Sort of hard to say without seeing the samples. Yes, the GX1 will be closer to the G3 (in some respects - JPEGs - it's even better). But whether the differences between the GF3 and G3 are due to the camera or the settings depends on what those differences are!

4. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    Well you are talking the difference of a 16mp sensor and a 12mp one. The difference right there surely could be noticeable. I find my GF3 as a capable camera, not great, but no POS either. I look at the GF3 as one really sweet P&S that let's me switch lenses. :)

Of course, YMMV.
  5. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Maybe show us some shots that you're not happy with and why?
  6. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    The G3 should out perform the GF3!
  7. Jtm305

Jtm305 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2012
    The biggest disappointment is the lack of sharpness to the gf3 images. I guess I was not expecting as discernible difference as there is. I do realize the sensor size will make a difference, however. My test today had all settings set identically, AFAIK, and there was a marked difference in quality. G3 came out sharp while the gf3 came out a bit dull with less accurate white balance. Granted they were taken indoors, so maybe an outdoor test in better light is in order. I will try to get some images up that represent what I am trying to explain. New to this so I may not be explaining in an appropriate way
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Perhaps you mean resolution rather than sharpness? I always associate sharpness as a lens quality.

Anyways samples would be helpful.
  9. jolieteddie

jolieteddie Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 9, 2012
    For what I paid for my GF3 and using the kit lens + 55-200 zoom, I find that it produces some very, very nice photos. It has its limitations, but I have taken some great photos with it and the form factor--size and weight--make it a wonderful camera to carry around. I suspect that if I spent more $$$ on better glass that would improve its performance, but I also don't think that I've totally explored the camera's potential. I bought an adapter for using my Nikon lenses, especially a 60mm Nikkor micro for some macro work. We'll see how it performs then.
  10. wzfoto

wzfoto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I am using a GF3+ 20 1.7 (often at f2), and I found images to be reasonably sharp at 100%. My only disappointment with this setup is the 'not so fast' focusing speed, and sometimes missed focus at night.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I was happy with the GF3 image quality. I got lots of photos with it where - as far as I am concerned - the files were great. That said, the G3 and GX1 use a newer sensor than the one in the GF3, so if you're happy with the G3 files and not so much the GF3 files, you'll likely be happy with a switch from GF3 to GX1.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Same here, i can get some decent shots at night maybe good but never great. During the day i can pull of some awesome shots even at dusk i can get some awesome shots. Never use a tripod and maybe that would help.

But as far as image qualiy goes. i compare to my sisters Canon Rebel and for what she has got to carry around, i am more than pleased with my shots and keep telling her she needs to switch over.
  13. Jtm305

Jtm305 New to Mu-43

Sep 19, 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. An earlier post referenced resolution and that may be what I mean rather than sharpness. I have the 20 1.7 and the 14 2.5 and we know those are quality lenses. I think a contributing factor may be indoor light not so great. I am planning to shoot some outdoors in good light to give me a better idea. Maybe I am being too critical. Bottom line is I like the form factor and hate to give that up.
  14. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Do you have [Picture size] in the menu set to L and [Quality] to fine?