GF3 kit w/ 14mm f2.5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by happycamper, Apr 25, 2012.

1. happycamper

happycamper New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    Is this lens with the kit the real deal that is selling for $379 by itself or is it a cheaper version made for the kit? The lens by itself has a gray ring around it but it looks like the kit lens is all black.

2. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    All the kit lenses are the same as the retail versions in m43, the only exception is the kit lens in the EPL1 kit, it has a plastic mount vs a metal mount.

It's easier to see the gray around the lens if you look at a non black camera.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054YVA5Q?ie=UTF8&ref=aw_bottom_links&force-full-site=1

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    They make an all black version as well as a version with the silver. I think the silver version is the kit lens for the white body and is also the color that comes when you buy the lens separately.

I've never read anything to indicate that the all black version differs in any way other than color from the silver one.

4. happycamper

happycamper New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks all, this would appear to be a pretty good deal then if you want the 14mm f2.5...it's like getting the GF3 body for less than $50.

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Not really. You can get the 14mm lens new ex kit for $150-$160 everyday on ebay.

6. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    Just so you know, you can easily find the 14mmf2.5 on ebay for around $170 new, so it's like getting the camera for $200.

7. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes the all black one comes with the black and red body + 14mm kits, the silver comes with the white body +14mm kit and is also the version that is sold as lens alone. Although the lenses being sold on ebay as split from kits obviously come in both colours depending which kit they came from. I noticed the all black ones seem to be more popular as they sell faster.

The UK had a really good deal on the GF3 + 14mm: £250 for the kit but £50 cashback from Panasonic and a free extended warranty. So as the lens (new) sells for around £125 on ebay you were getting the body for £75. The lowest shop price for the lens is £200 though, so compared to that you were getting the body for 'free'. :) Of course the lenses sold on ebay usually don't come with a warranty whereas those sold from official Panasonic UK stockists do and the one sold with the kit has a 3 year warranty along with the camera.

The offer is sold out now though, but you can get a GF3 + 14-42 for the same price (also with cashback and extended warranty):

Panasonic Lumix GF-3 White & 14-42MM

8. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    How does this work? I found that seller that has it for $160. From what I read, they take the lens out of the kits. What do they do w/ the camera? Sell it body only? Maybe I'm missing the "sales" aspect on why this is done and whether any warranties would be void.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    They break up the kits and sell the body and lens separately. You get more value that way. Like breaking up a company. I've gotten bodies only from this process. They come with full warranty. Unfortunately, most warranties are only good in the country where the product is sold. In this case, I believe that's going to be HK.

10. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for the explanation. I think I'm gonna grab the $395 deal from Amazon before its gone. Then I'll have a 2nd "backup" pocket camera to go w/ my E-M5. I'll throw in the 45-200 for $199 deal as well. At that price, it simply can't be beaten.

11. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I got it at work! Man, this thing is SMALL! I also got the 45-200. IMHO, for that range, its small to me as well. Then again, I'm coming from a Canon 70-200 f/4 L, so I guess everything is small.

What are the best JPEG settings for the GF3? Any other settings I should use?

Thanks!

12. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    https://www.mu-43.com/f43/advice-jpeg-settings-24202/

(+see links in the second post)