1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF3 -> GX1, worthy upgrade?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by agentlossing, Jul 23, 2013.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I keep seeing these awesome deals for the gx1, and wonder what you guys think about that body compared to the gf3 I currently have. Unfortunately I can't handle or use them side by side, so I have to rely on specs and sample photos on the web, but have any of you owned/used both cameras? I'm interested in how much bulkier the gx1 actually is, and also whether the iso performance is significantly better than the gf3.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Very worthy upgrade in every way! Yes, the high-ISO and the rest of the sensor performance is much better but compared to everything else that's better the sensor is minor and insignificant. You'll get much more out of the real hotshoe, EVF compatibility, and real button/dial controls than you will out of just an upgrade in sensor! I never understood shopping by sensors. ;)

3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
  4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The reasons I've asked about those two things specifically are that I can compare all the other physical differences pretty easily, and that sensor performance and overall bulk are my two main concerns. If I was perfectly happy with the gf3 sensor performance it wouldn't be a concern, but I keep seeing a lot of noise and noise reduction in my images that ruins details I think I ought to still be able to make out.

What attracted me to m4/3 in the first place was the compactness, and the gf3 has one advantage in being darn tiny. So I need to weigh all other factors.

5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Thanks, that's actually very helpful! It looks like the camera thickness is only very slightly different, and the gx1 is longer, both of these won't affect how easily it fits in a coat pocket with the p14mm.

6. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I upgraded my gf3 to a gx1 for almost two month ago and I just love the gx1. Sharper pictures, less noice and much better handling.

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk 2

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I've had a GX1 for a couple months and it's a great little cam. The 16MP sensor is surprisingly excellent and certainly nipping at the coattails of my 7D. It's great up to ISO 800 and very good at 1600 if you expose to the right and use a little selective NR in post. My only real complaint is you can't disable the LCD if you want to use it with a bright line finder and be stealthy in dim venues. It's really tiny and I find the physical controls and menus more fiddly than my E-P3 but you get used to it with practice.

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I upgraded my GF3 to a GX1 a little while ago, and think it is very worth it. The GX1 feels a bit more solid than the GF3, and it took a couple days to get used to the controls. But other than that I loved the switch right away. And I really liked the GF3.

I actually find myself using the GX1 more than my G5 now, and the G5 has the better sensor. The GX1 is just a great form factor and fun to shoot with.

9. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Well, you guys are doing a pretty good job convincing me. I ordered one from amazon warehouse, the proof will be in the pudding! If I like it enough, then there will be one more cheap gf3 on the market! If I decide it isn't worth the hassle for me, then amazon has a nice return policy...

10. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Hooray for Amazon next-day shipping! I have the gx1 in my hands and wow, just wow. This has to be one of the most well-built cameras I've ever held, it's seriously a thing of beauty. The fact that you can get this body for $250 kind of blows my mind!

My first sample photos are excellent, too. I tried ISO 1600 in a dimly-lit cafe and it looks amazing, at least on the camera LCD. None of that noise reduction mess that bugged me about the gf3. Of course, the first thing I did was set the sharpness to +1 and NR to -2, since I've read the gx1 still produces slightly soft images, which seems to be a thing with Panasonic.

But really, why spend a thousand bucks on a pretty Olympus body when this capable, classy camera is a quarter of that?

11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    First images

So in review, I notice very fine noise at 100%, even at base ISO, but a lot less detail loss than the GF3. And these images at ISO 1600 really impressed me; I know I'm a couple generations behind all the time, but this is the best noise performance in any camera I've ever owned!

Image 2 shows just how much I have to stop ordering cameras now (and sell at least one!) The 3rd is a 100% crop of the first. I like it! With my f2.5 lens and usable ISO 1600 this camera performs way better than my old Nikon with f1.8 lens, but ugly noise at ISO 800...

Attached Files: