1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

GF3 Flash Problems

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jack verlad, Jan 6, 2012.

1. jack verlad

jack verlad New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2012
    Has anyone experienced exposure problems using the GF3 flash ?
    When using iA mode the camera seems to insist on always setting iso 160 resulting in underexposure. Holding the flash back with one finger thus bouncing it off the ceiling works OK, a higher iso setting being used. Also the WB setting (AWB) is way off. I can't get it right using manual settings either. What am I doing wrong ?
    Jack

2. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Underexposure could be that some negative exposure compensation is selected (the +/-EV in review, or the yellow bar in live view), the flash power is set low (you can adjust it in the menus), or spot focus is selected and the spot happens to be bright.

You say you're using iA, the full auto mode, so you can't use spot focus, but the other two might be the cause. The exposure compensation is easy to do accidentally --- click the wheel and spin a little and there you are.

ISO160 might be because the iExposure is enabled (it always is in iAuto) and the scene is contrasty.

WB being way off, and the manual WB flash setting not working well are very odd. Attach a photo with the exif intact and maybe we can spot something.

3. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    Another reason that could be causing you a problem, especially if you say that when bouncing the flash is ok, is that you are to close to the subject, this will cause the surrounding area of the main image to become very under expossed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hauki is right. 1/n^2 drops off fast. How about tell us whether it is the subject which is underexposed or the background. Or just post one of these underexposed photos.

5. jack verlad

jack verlad New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2012
    You're missing my point - why doesn't the GF3 up the iso instead of always setting it at 160 (also with corresponding low shutter speed, e.g. like 1/8) ?
    Also as for the first response:
    1. Flash output is not adjustable on GF3
    2. Exposure compensation and spot metering are not possible in iA mode.

6. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    > why [ISO 160 and 1/8 with flash]

Dunno. I agree it is strange. Post a photo and we can see.

> 2. Exposure compensation ... not possible in iA mode

It is possible on my GF1. Click the wheel and then spin it. Panny must have removed that feature.

7. jack verlad

jack verlad New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2012
    OK so here's a shot - subject distance 2m, ambient lighting incandescent, photo taken with flash in iA mode, no manual adjustments possible, auto but maybe not so intelligent. Its all in the Exif, 1/8 sec iso 160.

8. jack verlad

jack verlad New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2012
  9. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    Hi Jack, unfortunatley the link you posted does not appear to be working? I can confirm after experimenting with my GF3, that there does indeed seem to be a glitch with the software when using flash in the IA+ mode, when using in doors in low light as soon as the flash pops up it shows 1/60th on the screen, as soon as you half press the shutter button it drops to 1/8th, the onlky way around this is to use in either A, S or P mode. the other point that was raised in an above post was regarding exposure compensation, this can be changed in IA+ mode by pressing the scroll wheel for this function.
    hope this helps

10. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I tried the same thing (Ai mode + flash popped open + dark room) on my GF1. I tested with the 14-140mm lens at 14mm (so f/4.0).

If it is somewhat dark (one 60 watt bulb) then the camera picks 1/30" @ f/4, iso 400, and the flash icon on the LCD shows "i <zap> A".

If it is very dark (facing away from the lit area of the room, but still light enough that auto-focus locks) then the camera picks 1" @ f/4, iso 100, and the flash icon changes to "i <zap> S", and the red "iA camera" icon changes to the blue "moon, stars, mountains" icon. It looks to me like the GF1 automatically switches to a synchro-flash shot, with a the flash firing when the first shutter opens.

Do you see the flash switching to synchro mode on your GF3s?

I tried to get the GF1 to pick 1/8th, but I couldn't. The GF1 jumps from 1/30 with regular flash, to 1" with 1st-shutter synchro-flash when some darkness threshold is reached.

PS I did note with with flash off that the camera would pick 1/8" with OIS on, and slower than that (but higher quality f-stops) with it off.

11. jack verlad

jack verlad New to Mu-43

Jan 6, 2012
    Thanks but GF3 is totally different from GF1, more like GF2. I also have a G1 - no problems. I have since seen reviewers of GF3 on Amazon website noting the same behaviour of flash indoors.

12. nsd20463

nsd20463 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 30, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    > It's a GF2/GF3 thing

OK then. This thread was interesting anyway since I learned some things about iA mode on the GF1 I didn't know.