GF3 flash Limitations

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jan 17, 2012.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Just some background info, I started off looking into the Olympus E-pl2 but found out about the red spot issue so I decided against it since most of my preferred shots are the type that cause it. I thought about the E-pl3 for a week but I can't get past the fact they use a 16:9 screen on a device with a 4:3 sensor. The panasonic GF3 was never a real option since it lacks a mode dial and I hate touchscreens but after I went out and tried it, I actually really like it.

Now I am choosing between a camera with a poorly implemented screen and one without an option for adding an external flash or evf.

My question for you guys with the GF3 is how often do you use find yourselves in situations where you wished you had an option for a more powerful flash or even some control over it. Is the built in flash usable for anything other than the odd snapshot?
  2. -Swo0p

-Swo0p Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    the 14mm or 20mm pancake lenses dont cause any shadow/blackout interference with the built-in flash. plus the built-in flash can be directed... ie you can point it at the ceiling for a bounce flash if you want (as you prob know).

i hardly ever use flash thats why I got the GF3 instead of the GF2 but.. i dont know what the GF3 goes for these days??? you might want to consider the GX1.. would love to upgrade to that. its all up to you.. what are you going to use the camera for
  3. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    The GF3 is a superb camera, the built in flash can have its limitations but when using with the 14 or 20mm lens, its still very capable, however its best used in A,P,S or M mode,
  4. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    I bought the GF3 as a P&S replacement so size was one of the important criteria. An external flash would defeat the purpose of the camera for me. I have a DSLR setup for situations needing more flash output.

The ability to bounce the flash works pretty well and selecting a higher ISO gives a bit more range. I do find the lack of flash compensation a problem at times. I tend to use flash to balance shadows and there is no easy way to do this with the GF3.

The E-PM1 seems like a good option. It supports flash compensation, wireless remote flash, etc. It does use the same 16:9 screen size as the E-pl3.

If I ever completely replace my DSLR, I'd definitely choose a camera with more sophisticated flash capabilities.