1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF3 Autofocus noise video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by 5thTo2nd, Jun 13, 2012.

1. 5thTo2nd

5thTo2nd New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    Is it normal to hear autofocus noise during video recording with this camera? I was a bit surprised to hear noise while autofocusing and zooming with the 14-42 PZ lens, especially since reviews were making the operation seem "silent". I don't notice it while filming unless I've got my ear right up to the lens but I do hear it on playback

2. 5thTo2nd

5thTo2nd New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    Anyone?

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    you can see my signature below for the lenses I've used on GF3, the only one that's really silent is the p14-45, none of the others give me quiet operations.

btw, I'm just curious about how the 25 1.4's motor and aperture twitches :(

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Yes, I get AF and zoom noise in videos taken by the GF3 + 14-42pz. In a quiet setting, the auto-levels gets cranked way up, so the little bit of lens noise gets cranked up. Plus the small size of the GF3 means the mic is very close to the lens. But any amount of sound in the room will drown out the noise, so if you're shooting a performance or such, it should not be a problem.

5. 5thTo2nd

5thTo2nd New to Mu-43

Jun 7, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback.

I tried again after adjusting the mic sensitivity and that seems to have helped a bit. I can still hear the lens zooming but the autofocus sounds are much more controlled.