1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF3 and PL 25/1.4 for street photography

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DHart, Aug 7, 2011.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I've never done much street photography and I'm becoming much more interested in this lately. The G3 I recently acquired can certainly be a good camera for this use, but I'm seeing value in an even smaller body, the GF3, for candid portrait/street photography. (I must confess to being a bit of a camera junky, as well. :redface:)

I'm thinking that a GF3 with the soon to be released PL 25/1.4 would make a great candid portrait/street photography kit.

I love the IQ with the 20/1.7, but the AF can certainly be quieter and quicker and I wouldn't mind the slightly longer reach and faster aperture of the 25/1.4.

Is anyone here using the GF3 yet, especially for street photography? With Panasonic's currently very fast AF speed and lower noise at higher ISO sensor, it would seem the GF3 would be an awesome camera for this use.

Would you think the 25/1.4 would be an even better choice for this application than the 20/1.7?

Perhaps we can get a good discussion going on the GF3 (and also, perhaps, the PL 25/1.4) for candid portrait/street photography.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I think it'd be a great combination, but realize the slightly longer focal length of the 25/1.5 compared to the 20/1.7 somewhat offsets the slightly faster speed.

I don't think focus noise is going to be your problem with street shooting--it's that loud shutter sound that gets everyone's attention. Slow focus, on the other hand, could very well be the deal-breaker.

3. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    What about the GF2 coupled with the 25/1.4? That GF2 is only slightly bigger than the GF3 and was recently on sale for $379 with the 14/2.5 (you lucky buggers who got that deal!).

4. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I with you on the shutter noise... that's one thing I love about my LX5... it's so silent in use... I love that... too bad the GF3 shutter isn't quiet.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think it would be a winning combination if the focal length suits you.

6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I think the flip-twist screen of the G3 would be more valuable for street shooting than the nominally smaller size of the GF3.

But if you need a reason to buy another camera, then by all means!

7. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    i am no expert by any means but for my style of streetshooting, fast af and silent shutter is all i want as my ideal camera. im thinking of getting either ep3 (for its af speed/touchscreen) or x100 (for its silent shutter) as my next camera. heres a good article comparing m9, ep3 and x100 for street shooting: Street Photography Showdown: Leica M9-P vs Olympus EP3 vs Fuji X100 at The Phoblographer . you might want to consider other cameras aside from gf3.

heres my street album in google+ https://picasaweb.google.com/102873175118305865375/StreetPhotography. i love the gf1 for streetshooting except for the loud shutter.

8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Amin... I know that a longer focal length adds more comfort zone in this type of shooting. If there were a smallish, fast prime giving about 65mm equivalent field of view... I'd like that even more - especially for the subject isolation/shallow depth of focus. But in remaining small with a fast aperture, it seems like the 25/1.4 might be the sweet spot.

I totally agree that the flip/twist screen is a major asset in remaining discreet... and I wouldn't mind a little increase in GF3 body thickness to have that.

I think I need to do an in-hand comparison of the GF3 with the G3 to feel how much difference the size does make.

I know, I know... :rolleyes: :rofl:

Thanks... I'll check out those links.

9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'm not into street shooting, but I would have thought the new Oly EPL3 would be ideal.

Gordon

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yeah, I would vote for the E-PL3. I love IBIS to death though.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    1) E-PL3=Flip Screen
    2) E-PL3=Super Fast Focus

Add L/P 25mm and PRESTO! Perfect combination....:biggrin:

12. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    The PL 25 1.4 will be really nice- I can't wait to get mine (for G2)

The GF3 and E-Px will work fine for street photography (see my link in my sig) as bothe the 20mm and 25mm are great focla lengths.

I carry the EP2 with 14-150 *and* the G2 with 20mm 1.7 currently and switch as my focal length needs require,

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    For the neophyte, I think the 25mm would be either too long or too short. Something wider, ala the 14, would take less effort to obtain good stuff.

Gary

PS- For most of us, I think that camera size affects the shooter more than the subject.
    G

14. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I think the GF2 or 3 would be good, and of course they have touch focus, which some people will like for street.

I like the tilt screen on the E-PL3, but I don't think it's a touch screen - perhaps I am wrong?

As for the lens - I like 50mm equiv, but I like 28 and 40 too. It all depends. great thing is, with these little cameras you can have a couple of lenses and the camera in a tiny bag. Or even two small bodies and lenses, ready to roll.

That's your solution Don:
    G3 for your 'regular' shooting: super fast AF, great EVF, articulating screen etc
    Then two new small bodies for street.

Sadly, you'll need to get two more bodies. I know you just hate buying cameras:smile:

15. Any focal length can be made to work on some level, but like Gary I think the sweet spot sits towards the wider end - somewhere between 14mm and 20mm (28-40 in the old money) which gives you a choice of three lenses. I'd also say the G3 screen would be more useful than the slightly smaller size of the GF3. Does the G3 also have touch focus-and-shoot?

16. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'm wondering if the GF7 (a.k.a. GF Pro) will have an articulated screen. It will probably be expensive, but if done right, Panasonic could make an ideal street shooter given their small (in physical size, not in number) lens selection.

17. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Lots of great comments... thank you, everyone.

Nic... the G3 is a great candidate for this application and, yes, it does have touch-shoot capability, which is quick and good. I really should be content with the G3 for this purpose, but I am a bit of a gear head, ya know.

The E-PL3 sounds like it would be a good option, with the flip screen and IBS. My preference, generally, is for Lumix gear as that's what I have and know and am comfortable with, but adding an E-PL3 with the different UI might be no big deal. It would be nice to have the IBS for use with legacy lenses and with the 20/1.7 and 25/1.4.

While the GF3 does have very quick AF and touch shooting with the screen, the screen doesn't flip or articulate, which does make it somewhat less suited to surreptitious image capture.

So... hmmm, looks like the E-PL3 and 25/1.4 might be a great set-up for this. I've already got the 20, which is a good lens for this, but no 14 as yet. I've been resisting the 14 since it became available, (I have 14-45,14-140, and 7-14) but I think my resistance to the 14mm will give in. Now I need to do some homework on the E-PL3.

I sure hope the GF7 has a tilt or flip screen. I'm eagerly awaiting that camera!

18. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I may be missing the rumors...what will the mythical GF7 do that the G3 doesn't already do? Look like the Fuji X100?

19. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The rumored "pro" aspect of it suggests more significant (i.e., "enthusiast" level) manual controls. Basically, it seems that Panasonic saw the dichotomy in the GF market when they went from the GF1 to the GF2. While the GF2 was designed more toward the step-up (from P&S) market, another group of users were disappointed in its simplified controls, wishing that Panny had actually gone the other way with them. The GF3 was a further extension toward the step-up market, while it seems the GF7 will target that enthusiast market. It would also make sense to include a built in EVF in the same position as the X100 (traditional rangefinder position), but there hasn't been a reliable leak yet other than about the model number and timing of release. So, it will be less DSLR-looking than the G3, but with actually more control. It will also likely be of a higher build quality. We shall see ...

20. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm just speculating, but it would seem the GF7 would offer more enthusiast controls, the stone-solid build quality that the GF1 exemplifies, built in Japan (vs China where the GH2, G3, GF3 are built) and... perhaps the large skip from GF3 to GF7 may imply a MAJOR new feature... a built-in EVF in a total rangefinder shape? We shall see!

I'm not implying that the China built Lumix cameras aren't high quality cameras, because they ARE! There are quite a few very premium products in the world today which are made in China. It's all about the build specs and required QC established by the product design company. But it is more costly to build in Japan and that still seems to bring with it a palpable difference of quality in some way.