GF3 and 12mm Zuiko go out and play

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DHart, Aug 21, 2011.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    A small summer BBQ party was an occasion to get out and play with my new GF3 and 12mm lens.

It was especially hot today and I was not very motivated to move around much... so I decided to see what I could capture while seated in one place.

P1000106.

P1000128.

P1000129.

P1000132.

P1000133.

P1000137.

I'm really excited with the performance of this camera and lens... they are both total keepers! Can't wait to see the results from the RAWS... these were from the JPG files.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Great pics.

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Don,

You new toy is a hit I see. Do you find the G3 difficult to handle based on size, or lack thereof?

Interesting study in single position perspective, did I detect a wedgie pick?

Alan

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Fun new toy! Great shots too. Any shot of the 12mm mounted on the GF3?

5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Very nice Don. For content, I like the last two best, but they're all well done.

-Ray

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I thought it was a crotch grab at first until I noticed the pockets. Regardless, the confused look on my face continued to persist, heh

7. I'm voting it's a regulation butt-scratch.

As for the photos I love #2

8. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Fantastic shots, really torn between the 9-18 and the 12mm f2...depth of field vs extra width, hmmmm.

Seeing these I'm back with the 12!

9. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks to all for the comments.

A hit with me, indeed. One of the things about getting both the G3 and the GF3 and the 14/2.5 and 12/2.0 at about the same time is that it takes a while to get to know them all better, and at this point I am so new to them.

I don't find the G3 difficult at all… I just happened to choose the GF3/12 as the combo to take to the BBQ… for no particular reason. But since you raised the question… as I think about it, perhaps I did feel a slight inclination to pick the smaller of the two bodies, as I had no photographic agenda in mind for the day that might argue for having the EVF and the articulating screen. I intended in only capturing some snapshots at the BBQ.

I didn't miss having the EVF when I was shooting these, though I probably would have appreciated having a tilt or articulating screen for some shots later that day in the restaurant.

This one is a very heavily cropped image from the wide 12mm FOV.

P1000177.

P1000177-2.

I probably would have used the articulating screen for this image

P1000167-3.

P1000167-1.

P1000167-2.

If my intent was to venture out to capture or create some more intentional imagery, the G3 would have been the camera to take, for the articulating screen primarily, and the EVF secondarily. If the GF3 had a tilt or articulating screen, it would give the G3 a run for the money, that's for sure. My wife is eyeing my GF3 for herself. If that goes to her, I may pick up an E-PL3 for it's articulating screen and see how that goes.

Will do!

• Like Like x 1
  10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Ha! I have so many shots of my water bottle (it's actually a neat looking translucent green bottle) just because it's usually on the side table by my chair. It's great for checking shallow depth of field and bokeh.

11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Great shots, I especially like 1 & 4 - it always looks so odd to see bokeh from a 12mm lens though! Also assuming you were only inches from the screaming baby when taking the shot!

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Funny... I'm sure most of us do such things with our usual objects at hand! It's a great challenge to see just how creative and how many different interesting images we can create without moving from one place.

13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks, DekHog. I know! Bokeh from a 12mm lens. I so LOVE that.

And, yes, to maximize bokeh from such a lens, shoot wide open with the subject as close as you can get, while retaining desired composition.

14. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    [Seinfeld voice] "It's a rub, not a pick![/Seinfeld voice]

Love the lens.:biggrin:

15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Oh... looks like he's going to the movies... he's "picking his seat". :rofl:

Yes... the 12 is just an awesome lens!