1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF3 + 14mm 2.5 good outfit?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kidrussell, Oct 22, 2013.

1. kidrussell

kidrussell Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Chagrin Falls, OH
    Chris
    Friends,

I have an opportunity to pick up a GF3 + 14mm f2.5 for $150. I have a PEN EPL1 w/ 14-42 and 40-150, and had been trying to save for 20mm 1.7. I have heard lots of good things about the 14mm 2.5, and with the GF3 body practically thrown in free, I am having a hard time turning this down.

Is there anything I should know about the GF3 or the 14mm 2.5 that should dissuade me from this deal?

Thanks for any advice.

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I have never used the GF-3, but I bought the 14mm alone for $150 and still think I got a sweet deal.

3. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I agree with the previous post. The lens alone is worth about that amount. If you like the camera, great, if not, you can sell it and end up with a cheap 14mm lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'f I were you, I'd buy that kit, and keep the lens and sell the body (you might get $75-80 or so for it). The lens is worth close to $150 by itself.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have used that combo myself in the past, the GF3 is quite fun to use and it's nice to hold despite it's small size. Ok it does not have a hotshoe and there is no means to mount a view finder, but if you want a small point and shoot camera with better IQ, you can do alot worse. It makes a good secondary camera. As others as said, try it, if you don't like it, sell it, your lens would be even cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    It's a great deal. The GF3 is a nice little pocket cam, I use mine with the 20/1.7 and it's a great package.

• Like Like x 1
  7. kidrussell

kidrussell Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Chagrin Falls, OH
    Chris
    Thanks to all!

I appreciate all of your responses. I am going to pick this up this evening.

A month ago, I didn't know what M4/3 was. Now I will have 2 bodies, 3 lenses, and 1 mildly concerned wife. Is this normal?

• Like Like x 1
  8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Definitely! :eek: :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I have a GF3 and the 14mm, very good combo, its only slightly bigger than a canon S9x P&S.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The only thing that might be abnormal is for a camera geek to actually be married

• Like Like x 3
  11. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    This is how I got started with M43... (though you got a considerably sweeter deal than me!) The 14mm is one of the most convenient lenses ever, and the GF3 has very fast autofocus and a touchscreen. I wouldn't pass them up at that price.

• Like Like x 1
  12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Definitely. Earlier this year, I had an old DSLR that I rarely touched. Then, suddenly, I had a GF3 with kit zoom, and then a second GF3 with a scratched LCD that I purchased on eBay with the 14mm (that cost me $200, you lucky dog), THEN a GX1 body, then the original GF3 kit went bye bye, and now suddenly I want to go to thrift stores to see what legacy glass I can find (since it doesn't even matter what mount; $14 rainbow imaging adapters are too cheap to even question). All of which must have looked more than mildly concerning to my fiancee (then girlfriend). She must not have gotten too awful worried though, since she still said yes.

In conclusion, welcome to the club :p

• Like Like x 1
  13. kidrussell

kidrussell Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2013
    Chagrin Falls, OH
    Chris
    Eerily similar, agentlossing, though my wife didn't have a choice.

I used the GF3 last night and into the AM, and I had alot of fun trying out my first prime lens. One obvious difference from my EPL-1 is the LCD. Tonight maybe I'll actually read the manual and figure out what this machine can do.

• Like Like x 1
  14. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    I've just spent 3 weeks on a working tour round Europe with this excellent combo. Fits into a suit pocket but gives quality results. Once you get used to assigning stuff to the GF-3 touchscreen it becomes very easy but very flexible to use, and I prefer the POV of the 14 to the 20/1.7. I also took an adapted lens with me, but hardly ever used it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I'd say to go for it. At that price it is a wonderful deal, and the GF3 is probably one of the smallest and lightest bodies out there. While the 14mm can feel a bit wide at times, until the XM1 is released this is the smallest package (with decent optics) you can get in MFT.

Plus, if you don't like it you can easily sell either the camera or the lens.

• Like Like x 1