Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by steve, Mar 11, 2010.

1. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    • Like Like x 6
  2. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Ooooh! Looks like it's copying Leica with the body design. It would be very cool if it looked more retro.
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    If it has a focus scale, I'm in deep!
  4. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    Yes, Leica has a patent on the rectangular-box shape. Ivory Soap, for example, has to pay them a royalty on every bar. :)

Seriously: IF Panasonic could bring this off -- a high-quality eye-level finder in a GF1-size camera -- it would do really well. I suspect that combination is what most Micro Four Thirds buyers really want.

On the other hand... the closest thing to this so far is the add-on finder for the Olympus EP-2. If you look at the size of that, and the size of a GF-1 body, and then imagine trying to fit the one inside the other... well, I think you can see why it may be a while before this patent sketch turns into a real camera.
  5. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    This is a classic example of patents gone nuts. Anyone here could file a patent for the above 'idea'. In fact, I've seen it elsewhere in wishlists, even mockups. If this patent is issued, it will prevent others from using the idea (unless they pay Panny).

I, for one, hope that 1. Panny pursues the idea, and 2. many other companies do too!
  6. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    It's already been done with the Digilux 3 and Panasonic LC1 which where 4/3 cameras, this quite a few years ago so I'm sure they have the technology to make it GF1 size.

I'm hoping they base it on one of these. I think everyone would go mental, imagine the queue to pick one up!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Me too!

So true. Our patent system is beyond broken.

First company that gets a decent EVF in a GF1/Pen style MFT body gets my money. Fine with me if it's 200k resolution like the GF1 viewfinder, so long as they can cram it into a smaller body than my G1, preferably retaining the articulated LCD in the process.

I like that they have a flash and a hot shoe in this design. Seems like a no brainer to have both, but the Sony concept model dropped the hot shoe!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I wonder what the time table might be... We need another roadmap, but this time of cameras yet to come.
  9. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    Probably the end of the year, the GF1 is selling bucket loads at the moment.
  10. ballfresno

ballfresno Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    West Sussex, UK
    This is the first (concept) m43 camera that would make me actually want to upgrade from my G1, something I didn't think I would want to do for a few years... I don't even care if it has an LCD on the back or not!
  11. vincechu

vincechu Mu-43 Regular

OMG it looks remarkably similar to the Panasonic L1 and Leica digilux3 ;-) It would be awesome if Leica suprised us and joined m4/3 by sharing the body with Panny.... but it aint gonna happen...

I'd love to see it turn out to be a rangefinder look-a-like m4/3
  12. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup. Mine too.
    Love my Gf1. But this would be the real deal. In fact, I feel the GF1 gets so much right in terms of UI etc, that I would be happy if all the other specs stayed the same - just add the internal EVF.
  13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I want one too! Even nicer if Panny ever gets onboard with IBIS ... sigh.
  14. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

More so than a look-a-like, I hope that Panasonic will be able to squeeze a small viewfinder into a GF1 sized body - I could give up the flash for an electronic VF. Whether it would be "rangefinder like" look or a similar design - it would likely be electronic and would be a zoom coupled finder - so not really a rangerfinder - but hey - simply much better than using the large LCD screen.
    If the G1, G2, GH2, E500, E520 etc can have it, why not the "GF2". I'd buy it in a second (and keep the GF1 too)
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I'd give up the flash too if they sold a cheap small hot shoe flash. I'd rather have that as an extra i don't need all the time than the EVF. As of now, I don't leave it mounted because I'm always afraid I'll snap it off in the bag
  16. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
  18. voyager

Dec 31, 2009
    Sure looks like it's pretty bulky though.
  19. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    mildly, but you gotta have a battery in there somehow. Given the performance of it and no swivel (or tilt?) I feel a little ridiculous paying $200 for it. Though, I looked a little, it's in the $150 range. A little better.

But all a moot point until panasonic (or oly) puts out a m43 RF like camera with a corner EVF.
  20. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

Any predictions on the release of the GF2? I'm with the lot of you when I say I can't wait and am ready to pre-order NOW!!