1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Gf2 VS G2 touch screen

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Keeds, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Keeds

Keeds New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2011
    Perth , WA
    Hi,

I have heard that the Gf2 touchscreen is absolute rubbish. Is this true? Well, i have been planning on getting the g2 because it suites me as a videographer with its swiveley screen. My 2 questions are:

Is the Gf2 touch screen rubbish?
    If it is, is the g2 touch screen rubbish?

thanks

2. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    i have not used a G2 but do own a GF2, the touchscreen isn't like an ipad or touchscreen phone thats for sure :) but once you get used to it, its really not to bad... I think I kinda like the need for a firm touch, as to not accidentally delete stuff or end up changing your setting when you didn't mean to

3. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    I don't think it's rubbish at all, the fact is most people are spoiled by the sensitive capacitive touch screens, and this screen is nothing like that. I only use it for touch to focus, everything else I use the tactile buttons to control.

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I just took delivery of a G2 to replace a G1 (needed to get that thumbwheel on the back like it is on my GF1!).

One really nice thing about the G2 touch screen is that its use is, for the most part, optional. All the standard adjustments are available using buttons, dials, and wheels; if you want to take a photo without touching the screen at all, you can do that. I used my G1 like a standard DSLR, i.e., eye to the viewfinder; G2 will likely be operated in the same fashion. I may try the touch screen for focusing once in a while, but I'll have to see whether that's really any better than focus and re-compose.

Some set-up options do require use of the touch screen, I believe. When I activated the histogram, it was right in the middle of the screen and I couldn't figure out how to move it. Went to the manual: touch, drag and drop!

Rubbish? I don't think so. But time will tell.

5. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada

I don't know about the G2 but I tried out the GF2 before I bought it. Despite what I heard, I determined that I liked the touch screen, mainly because it lets you quickly select where you want the camera to focus. I wouldn't call it rubbish, but it requires some getting used to. Is there a camera shop nearby where you can try both out?

6. DreadPR

DreadPR New to Mu-43

Mar 11, 2011
    I love all things tech and have been a huge fan of the iphone and ipod. I am also a big fan of the GF2 touchscreen. After so many terrible implementations of a touchscreen this one is great.

The thing is that it is actually more pressure sensitive than touch sensitive. This is by design (capacitive vs resistive). What does that give you? On an iphone etc you want it to be super responsive. On the camera you want only deliberate touches to result in a response. With it being pressure sensitive there is a huge cut down on inadvertent actions. There are going to be people who still inadvertently trigger a shutter release but that has to be selected as an option on the camera. I don't change that setting while shooting and touch is used mainly for focus.

Edit: Additionally, this type of screen can also be used with gloves on (unlike iphones which need skin or a special material to make contact).

I find that people (even respected online reviewers) simply don't figure out or know that it is a pressure sensitive screen ... and they keep gently touching it (like they are used to with their iphones) and complaining about the "rubbish" touchscreen. Makes me laugh.