1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2 vs. E-PM1 vs. Others (for video)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by letsgocoyote, Nov 30, 2011.

1. letsgocoyote

letsgocoyote Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    I am looking into m4/3 more and for the price, I like the GF2 and E-PM1 best. I handled the GF2 a little bit at Best Buy but the E-PM1 was not on display. Also there was no memory card so it wouldn't let me do anything in video mode on the GF2.

There are some reasons why I would choose one or the other (built in flash and body shape/size for the GF2 OR better ISO/noise, aesthetics, and IBIS for the E-PM1). However, I do care about video as well so I was wondering what video features each one has, or if there is another camera that meets these needs for a good price

-1080, ideally progressive but interlaced will suffice
    -full manual exposure
    -ability to adjust exposure in some way DURING recording.

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    They both have full HD AVCHD video recording with stereo mic. However, E-PM1 offers full control over video in dedicated video mode. GF2 doesn't even allow selecting aperture or shutter speed. Both do not allow changing settings during recording. I wouldn't necessarily take IBIS into consideration cause it's implementation on E-PM1 does more harm than good (in my experience). You need GH2 for what you want to do.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Also, the GF-2 does not allow any kind of external audio. To me, shooting video with only a built-in mic is like shooting photos with no ability to use flash. The E-PM1 can take a standard 3.5mm stereo mic with the EMA-1 adapter. The GH2 can use a 2.5mm stereo mic.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wouldn't do serious video with either, but for casual clips I'd lean towards the GF2. I think the video output looks better. The E-PM1 I'd pick for stills though.

5. letsgocoyote

letsgocoyote Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks guys. The GH2 and other slr style bodies kind of defeat the purpose of the system to me (although it certainly suits others). Of course the GF2 is ruled out. I think I will go with the E-PM1. I wish it could adjust exposure during video, but it dawned on me: a variable/fader ND filter. Which actually would be better for adjusting video exposure anyways!

6. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Well the GF2 is suppose to be hacked to support some extra features, similar to what the GH1/2 offers.