GF2 touch screen replacement

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by itami, Jul 10, 2015.

1. itami

itami New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2015
    UK
  2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's about half the price of a whole 'nother used GF2. I'd not invest that much money into such an old camera.

I can't answer your specific question, though. Sorry.

3. itami

itami New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2015
    UK
    Thanks for your reply. I know it's a reasonable chunk of money but it will return a pretty decent camera to full working order. I've seen a few used GF2 bodies for, as you suggest, around twice that amount but the photos all show the same screen degradation. My thinking was that a modest sum spent on my camera body plus a good quality anti-reflective screen protector will restore it to as-new.

BTW, as a left-field suggestion, what would you replace it with? (without spending too much as it's not my main camera).

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you are handy, give it a go! It's just a bit more money than I'd spend on a gamble. I tried to replace a Nintendo screen once and it did NOT go well! :doh:

I don't know what "too much" means exactly, but E-PM2 and E-PL5/6 are getting quite cheap. Both of those have current-gen sensors so you are getting the best image quality you can get in m4/3 land. I would think you could find one of those in the $150-250 range without too much effort. If you don't shoot high ISO a lot, the GX1 is a very high spec cam that has fallen into the $150 range, or less.

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    So, I've fiddled with a couple of GF3 models with the same problem. It's actually not too hard to remove the entire anti-reflective coating which covers the glass, although it's thicker and tougher than you think it is. The resultant display is too easily scratched to leave as is, but you can apply a sturdy screen protector and call it good. It's not an easy job though, easier if you actually take apart the camera body so you can remove the screen assembly from the body frame, making it easy to get at the covering you want to peel off. Not 100% sure it's worth the effort, just felling you I have done it!