GF2 shot speed/shutter lag

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WT21, Aug 2, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I see these special deals on the GF2, but having just picked up the EP3, I still have an EP1. My wife is looking for a camera, and I was thinking EP1, but am a bit concerned bu the shutter lag. Is the GF2 much faster in shot speed?
  2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Unless the GF2 is slower than the GF1 (doubtful), it's very fast. In decent light, I have found the turn on to shot taken time to be about 1 second and the shutter lag to be < 1/2 sec.

Here are some numbers (not sure how dated they are, so with firmware updates, they may be faster.) The GF2 looks even faster. Compare that to the E-P1 numbers.
  3. j0sh818

j0sh818 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    I haven't used any other μ4/3 camera other than the GF2 but I was surprised how fast it is when I first use it. Not as fast as the 7D I once had but it can definitely keep up with my 5D2. It might be as fast as the EP3. :)
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've heard the GF2 is very similar to the GF1, maybe slightly quicker. And I can tell you that the GF1 is pretty fast but not as fast as the EP3/GH2/G3, but is LOTS faster than the EP1/EP2. Much more than adequate...

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think the progression goes something like this:

Slow: Olympus E-P1, E-P2
    Faster: Olympus E-PL1
    Fast: Olympus E-PL2, Panasonic GF-1, GF-2, G1, G2, GH1
    Very Fast: Panasonic GH2, G3
    Fastest: Olympus E-P3, E-PL3, E-PM1

I could be wrong though... I'm not so filthy stinkin' rich to have each of these bodies, nor even well connected enough to have tried them all, lol. :D
  6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Or all of the lenses, because I suspect that some of the orderings aren't universal. For example, the G3 might focus faster than an E-P3 with the Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens.

Edit: unless you mean G3 w/ Panny 14-42mm vs. E-P3 w/ Oly 14-42mm IIR type comparisons.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, I'm just talking about overall responsiveness. There are so many factors involved, such as shutter lag, processing time, autofocus speed, etc., that each body is going to be better or worse in different scenarios with different lenses and different accessories. The comparisons I'm talking about are overall response time, which would mostly be with kit lenses as that's the way most of us are able to handle most of these bodies. :)
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    When I bought my GF1, I tried it head to head with the EP1, EP2 and EPL1, and it was NOTICEABLY more responsive. Some of that was AF, but a lot was shutter lag, even moving the menus and things seemed faster on the GF1.