1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

GF2, off camera flash, and E-TTL

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jbuch84, Apr 6, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Alright, so I'm a bit confused and have been reading a lot of conflicting information regarding GF2's off camera flash metering. If I purchase a speedlite with compatible E-TTL for m43 systems will it still use the camera's metering when mounted off camera and triggered using a hotshoe and radio trigger? I'm looking into the Nissin Di466. Just hoping i wouldn't have to set everything manually. Would be a pain to have to control ambient light on the camera manually and then also have to adjust the flash for every little change.

I'm just getting testing the off camera waters here and any advise will be useful, just don't want to waste my money :) Thanks for the help guys!

2. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    a few more questions...

With off camera flash is the gf2 shutter speed limited to 125th sec as it is withthe on camera flash? This makes lighting an object surrounded by bright ambient light impossible to properly expose without A. Going to a very narrow aperture and losing your shallow depth of field or B. Having to pack various ND filters along with you. I just didn't know if the gf2 would allow for hypersync.........

3. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I'm guessing no one plays with lighting on here, I'll test the waters ;-)

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    no you can not go wireless ttl with the GF2, that is not an option with that camera. If you get a speedlight with ttl. It will only have the ttl capability on the hotshoe. Depending on the speedlight, you can off camera as a optical slave and and you will have to set all flash manually. That is an option with the nissin di466.

with the shutter speed sync, it really depends on what the camera is capable not the flash.

5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Also the di466 does not support wireless ttl, it only support hotshoe ttl. If you want a flash that can support that option if you get a camera that has wireless ttl like a olypmus epl-1 or epl-2 or the gh2. The metz 44 AF-1 will support wireless ttl as well.

6. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    What I am going to try to do (because I found some old left over gear from when I used to have an Oly E-10 nearly a decade ago) is make use of an FL-50, an FL-BK01 (Olympus flash bracket), and FL-CB02 (Olympus hotshoe to 5-pin TTL connector, which I need to by as my CB01 was for old Olympus TTL connectors) to have some off-camera flash. Granted, it's not nearly as good as a truly wireless TTL solution as I'm limited to the length of the CB02 cable (unless you can effectively daisy chain hotshoe extension cables...), but in theory it should work. The G-series all use the same TTL flash system as Oly flashes, and the BK01 is effectively just a bracket with a TTL to hotshoe, so I just need to send signal via hotshoe to TTL.